1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Guitar monitor rig idea!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by severinsteel, May 19, 2011.

1. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

Ok, so I know this has been done before, but not by me. In clubs, the monitor situation is generally less than ideal. It seems I am always fighting to hear my amp. So, I had this cool idea: why don't I provide my own monitor!

I can take the 'slave out' from my Egnater Mod 50 and run it into my backup head's effects return (a line 6 Flextone 1). I have a Port City 1x12 cab that I could prop up in front of me beside my small pedal board and use that as a wedge. So I'll just connect the speaker out from my spare amp to my 1x12.

What do ya think?

2. germs

germs Member

or just run a cab with the proper ohms to the front of stage.

or check out Avatar's stage wedges for guitar players.

but i've seen a few guys running a cab out to front of stage. i just think it gets in the way. YMMV.

3. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

The cab I would be using would be small, so I think it wouldn't impede much. I was originally going to just run a second cab in front, but I like the idea of being able to adjust my own monitor's volume without turning up the amp. I snagged a Crate powerblock so I won't be using my backup amp.

4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

Or, pull a line out of your amp & run it to a 12" powered monitor up front. The Kustom ones are inexpensive & decent.

5. drewl

drewl Member

I usually use two amps anyway, so the mic'd one for FOH I leave alone, the other is pointed at me and adjusted so I can hear it properly without blowing out the people in front.