Guitar Moving Around in ATA Case?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hugo Da Rosa, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Hey so I just got this in the mail today: http://cgi.ebay.com/STRAT-TELE-LES-...QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

It's not a bad case but it's also not the best. The quality is good enough to take a beating on the road but definitely not strong enough to take the beating that airlines tend to load luggage. Overall, for the price I paid, it's definitely not a bad deal.

The only problem I am having with this is that my strat is moving around quite a bit in there. Enough so that it shifts out of the diecast cut and onto the outter foam padding. I reinforced the extra space with a not-in-use guitar strap and it made it a little more snug but is something like this normal for ATA cases? I mean the ultimate thing I'm concerned about is that my guitar is protected and if it stays that way while moving around, I couldn't careless. But if this increases the chances of damage then I'm a bit concerned.

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Looks like the case is made with a "one size fits all" or at least fits many cutout. Get some more foam and or items like old towels and use them to snug up the guitar so it doesn't move around.
    Edit: If the guitar has a nitro finish make sure whatever you use is nonreactive.

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Thanks! I think i'll swing by Ace tomorrow and see if they have any foam there to buy.

Anyone else experience something like this? I would imagine that something like this is supposed to be snug.

4. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    The best thing for cutting foam is an electric knife. At one company I worked at we would install acoustic foam inside the panels of the machine to lower the machine's working volume. This require a lot of intricate cuts, this the foam supplier recommended using an electric knife. It worked amazingly well. Many Ace hardware's sell electric knifes, so grab one when your getting the foam.

TheGrooveking