1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar Neck is NOT a whammy bar! Does this bother anyone else?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by macrossgeorge, Mar 3, 2020.

The guitar's neck is acceptable for bending your notes

1. Yes

63.8%
  2. No

36.2%
  1. macrossgeorge

macrossgeorge Silver Supporting Member

I just cringe when I see people using their guitar neck as a whammy bar by holding the body and bending the neck to get some whammy or vibrato effect.

Yes, I have tried that... when I was a teenager (a trillion years ago </hyperbole>).

But now when I see people doing that I get a somatic aversion that ties my stomach in knots. I guess I feel for the guitar and after performing my own set ups, truss rod adjustments, saddle piece intonation, string height, and all that myself for my instruments I just think that it is a reckless move. Sure some people smash their guitars on stage which is also a waste of sorts and by now totally cliche. Yes, I do still like seeing footage of the Who smashing up their gear and even more so like watching the footage of Hendrix burning his axe at Monterey Pop but those innovations of performance are not innovative anymore </tangent>

Does it bother you to see people using their neck as a whammy bar or for vibrato? Do you do it too?

2. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Their guitar, their gamble. I personally don't do it. I've seen guys snap their headstock off doing it, and I ain't taking that chance.

prodrigu, Aahzz, Cousin and 9 others like this.
  3. Brian N

Brian N Member

It maybe bothers me a little, but not a ton. If someone were to do that to my guitar though it would bother me a LOT. I read a story on here recently about a guy who lent his guitar out, and the guy he lent it to did that neck bend so hard that it unseated the truss rod from the neck pocket. Cost him $1000 to get fixed, ruined the guitar's value, and the guy was a jerk about it and wouldn't contribute a dime toward the repair.

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Whenever I see someone do it, under my breath I'm like- "break you bast*rd"

dank, highfidelity66, jm9239 and 36 others like this.
  5. StreetwalkinCheetah

StreetwalkinCheetah Member

Bothers me less than seeing a Les Paul with a Floyd.

F#m7, lpr9, BerkeleyJones and 75 others like this.
  6. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

It's a proven fact that people who bend necks for vibrato only do it on borrowed guitars.

Hawk3y3, gmann, stonem and 15 others like this.
  7. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

I used to do it to my SGs to detune chords. I don't have any SGs any more. I just whammy my musicman now. I don't see anything wrong with it, you just have to know how much pressure you can put on it.

8. ieso

ieso Member

Don't worry. Frisell has done it for 50 years.

Sure, the headstock breaks off

[​IMG]

But a new one grows back...no problem

[​IMG]

dank, Hawk3y3, kinmike and 90 others like this.
  9. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

Tell that to Slash when he plays Civil War

Comanche5 and macrossgeorge like this.
  10. macrossgeorge

macrossgeorge Silver Supporting Member

Just realized I messed up the poll questions. If people are replying Yes or No to the thread title it is the opposite of the actual question. I guess I did not think that one through

De - Fre likes this.
  11. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

On a related note, I hate it when people use guitars to stir large vats of gruel in Dickensian orphanages. I mean, surely there's a better utensil for that? Like an orphan? :dunno

12. EdFarmer

EdFarmer Member

This is one of those . . . "whatever" . . . questions. Do I care what other people do to their guitars? Not in the least. I used to do this with every guitar that I owned including an LPC with a headstock repair. I also used to drag the strings across my microphone stand.

I don't do either anymore but the reason has less to do with taking care of my gear than it does with the style of music that I'm playing.

HTSMetal, sxcustom and skullfunkerry like this.
  13. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

I do it all the time, especially on my acoustics. I'm perfectly comfortable with it. Been doing it for over 40 years. That being said, I would never do it on a guitar that isn't mine. But I know my guitars well enough and can "feel" it. I've had other people do it on my guitars but only others that I deem "professional" get to play my guitars. My two cents.

14. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

Watching this unfold throughout the week on TGP, there's an idea that 90% of guitars are trash made by hammer handed chimps until you bend a neck, then they're Faberge eggs that are crucial to the future of music and also punk never happened. It's been an entertaining week. The lesson about the LPC headstock snap was not to lend out your LPC, for crying out loud. You see a guy with no guitar or a beat up Affinity and they want YOUR guitar, you tell them no. Read the room.

15. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

In your art my belief is as long as you can fund, that the tools are ultimately expendable and all that matters is the artist and the art and #$%& going for it. That's in art though, if you aren't using the guitar for creativity and it is a work tool only then I would agree that taking best care of the instrument is paramount and I wouldn't be bending that neck unless you are doing well financially. Likewise if you are an aficionado and just love a guitar that's beautiful to you, your focus is on the beauty of the tool and it must be preserved.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  16. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

I'm not bothered if someone does it to THEIR guitar(s) for an effect. And I've maybe done it once or twice to see what happens, but I tell ya, you better not do it to one of MY guitars!

macrossgeorge likes this.
  17. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Their guitar. I don't care.

Thesleepstalker, wgs1230 and Ampedusa like this.
  18. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

I hope you all like my post above because I edited it around 5 times

19. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Member

I've been doing it to my 93 American Strat since 93. The guitar has done thousands of shows and the neck is fine.

20. Ejay

Ejay Member

I do it sometimes...and I don’t believe for one minute it does damage.
    A decent strat could be used as a weapon in a barfight and will probably be still in tune ;)
    You guys worry to much about a piece of wood about the size of a baseball bat.