1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar Neck is NOT a whammy bar! Does this bother anyone else?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by macrossgeorge, Mar 3, 2020.

The guitar's neck is acceptable for bending your notes

1. Yes

63.8%
  2. No

36.2%
  1. 65inside

65inside Member

Colin does it with his vintage SGs so...

2. indexless

indexless Member

this thread...really? Turn your head and walk away if it bothers you...geeez

3. stonem

stonem Supporting Member

I dont normally bend the neck but a few weeks ago I was recording and struggling to play a part cleanly. I ended up getting so mad I bent the neck on my strat trying to break it off (it didnt work and it held tune) and resorted to punching it about 5 times. It didnt help me play the part any better though.

macrossgeorge likes this.
  4. macrossgeorge

macrossgeorge Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all the responses on this thread and apologies for messing up the poll (The title and poll question would have opposite answers).

I did not mean to be a complaining “cry baby” (one of my favorite pedals by the way) when I wrote it and was at least partially trying to be funny and was also simply curious about peoples opinions on the matter (or non-matter).

Just to clarify, I am not telling other people what they can and cannot do with their own guitars and I do believe in creative expression and freedom of expression.

Really I was just curious if it bothered other people like it bothers me. Yes it makes me cringe and yes that is my problem and my fault and something that I need to get over.

It is educational to me to see how many people here do use this technique so my apologies to you for being so critical. I will try to be more understanding and less judgmental about this knowing that it is more common than I thought.

Glad that a lot of people agreed that it is best practice not to do this with other people’s guitars which shows a good level of respect. It was also interesting to see how many people have reported broken guitars from this technique. Also I did not expect so much activity on this post.

I guess I was not expecting to see much personal criticism as the poster and I suppose a part of that was in my poor phrasing and ignorance. It was not my intention to be contentious or inflammatory.

So thank you for reminding me that this aversion is my own issue that I need to get over (I will work on that) and also thank you for pointing out my own implicit and explicit bias and lack of understanding. I will try to be more open minded about the way people use their instruments.

May you all enjoy whatever forms of musical expression makes you happy.

culiacant87 and vladimirwolfe like this.
  5. SubApathy

SubApathy Supporting Member

I remember watching a youtube video where Godsmack played Re-Align live (years ago) and Sully "whammy'ed" his guitar neck. I was like "what the heck!?!", so I tried it...heard my guitar creak and I never did it again. I'm sure if it's done subtly, it'll be fine. :dunno

6. culiacant87

culiacant87 Member

I’ve been doing this since Forever on my sg guitars, not one problem, ever. And I’ve done shows where the alcohol made me act a little more forcefully than I should have. Sorry for the pain I’ve caused.

7. Arthur Bighand

Arthur Bighand Member

I'm not a carpenter, but I've worked a lot with wood, especially hardwoods... you might be surprised at how tough wood is, it's strong enough to support a tree y'know.

derekd and macrossgeorge like this.
  8. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Member

I mostly play Teles and I’ve done the old neck bend once in a while. I always do it for that slight dip while holding a chord, not sure what people are doing that breaks the headstock? I don’t think anyone expects to be able to use it to the same extremes as a real whammy, at least nobody I know or have ever seen has been that stupid. For single notes while soloing, finger bends always suffice (for faux dive bomb, master the trick of the pre-bend), and I’ve done a couple behind-the-nut wiggles on open strings as well when I’m feeling giddy. Anyhow I don’t care much for whammy dive bomb tricks to begin with so it’s not something I do often. I can’t see why anyone would let it bother them, seeing someone else doing it to their own guitar, though. Lighten up, sheesh.

9. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Don't apologize!! I've started a grass roots campaign and we now have enough signatures to introduce legislation banning "neck tremming". And now you … knuckle under to these neck benders? What am I going to tell these thousands gathered for a rally on the Capital steps today - "OP was just funnin' - go back to your homes.."??? This is an outrage!!! :p:p

10. TheMemoryEstate

TheMemoryEstate Member

Relax it’s only rock n roll
    :banana:banana:banana

11. JDutch

JDutch Member

Automatic death penalty (for not offering to cover the costs of the repair, then refusing when asked).

abnerfm likes this.
  12. jb4674

jb4674 Member

The only reason you should cringe is if you or anyone does it on a Les Paul..

13. michael razor

michael razor Member

I'm telling Keith Urban that you are badmouthing him!! :p
    I do it as well.

14. That70'sBro

That70'sBro Member

Done sparingly maybe not such a big deal. Seems like a bad idea as a consistent, aggressive "whammy technique".

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  15. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Wondering how the headstock would be damaged executing such a maneuver. When I would try it, I'd generally be playing a cowboy chord low on the neck, push the upper horn/bout towards me while pushing away with my fretting hand. :dunno

I can definitely see how a set neck joint could get stressed by such maneuvers, though.

16. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

It can be whatever the guitar owner wants it to be. Move on.

FiestaRed likes this.
  17. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

As a big Jim Campilongo fan, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I think it can sound wonderful and very different than an actual vibrato bar.

18. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

Only on a Firebird

19. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I have no problem with it on my guitars... that are bolt on. Seriously, when I was playing bro county in sleazy bars, I would have had no problem hitting an assailant with a tele mid solo, and kept on trucking (I did actually crack the lead singer with the headstock a time or two, but that was clearly an "accident").

20. derekd

derekd Supporting Member