• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Guitar Neck is NOT a whammy bar! Does this bother anyone else?

The guitar's neck is acceptable for bending your notes

• Total voters

Oinkus

Been doing it for decades and could not give a crap what you do to your guitars when you play them. No idea how some of you idiots are breaking necks either , that really confuses me ?

DCross

Acoustic Jazz & Electric Folk
Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn't do it to your guitar, but I do occasionally do it to mine, but in a very gentle, subtle way.

Don't buy used if you're going to worry about that. The way I look it is if the neck is intact and the truss rod works, nothing to be concerned about. If there's cigarette burns on the headstock, I might think twice though.

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
I didn’t read the whole thread. TL/Dr. I do it with my tele all the time (tele shaped object if I’m being honest). Love it. It Has a certain... je ne sais quoi. I don’t know. it sounds cool. It feels cool. Does it look cool? Maybe not when I do it. Is it abusive? Probably. It’s a tele. Secretly a little part of me hopes it breaks. I would get a big laugh out of it if it did. I know it won’t though.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
Tim lerch
Ted Greene
Bill Frisel

These guys know what they are doing and they wiggle the neck.
Oh, dear Ted Greene was one of my first teachers (technically my third guitar teacher). I was so lucky to get on his list and get in there with him. I still have audio cassette tapes of his lessons somewhere in storage. Ted was a true master. RIP

EtaCarinae

I don't do it personally, I have a bunch of guitars with trems on them that do the job better. That said, I pay absolutely no mind to what someone else does with their guitar. I get that there is a long tradition of doing this thing.

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
I've read Frisell saying exactly that... he started doing it to try to get notes more in tune.

I do it myself, have done so for decades, haven't broken anything yet. Then again, I'm not leaning on it with all my might or trying to dive-bomb. Just a little shimmer. There are all sorts of ways to bend notes, and they all sound different.
Yeah. This. A little shimmer. Not really to bend notes.

Silent Sound

"Whammy bar" bothers me. So does "tremolo". It's a vibrato.

People bending notes with the neck of their guitar? Why would that bother me? People bending notes with the neck of MY guitar? Yeah, that would bother me. Though, to be fair, I do it myself sometimes.

Just1more

Silver Supporting Member
I did it in GC once, the salesperson looked at me like I was insane. I told him, don't worry, I am buying the guitar.

GeorgeNada

I cringe when I see guitarist more intent on babying their instrument than committed to making interesting music. It’s a tool, if bending the neck gets you the sounds you want, bend away. If that’s not your thing, don’t do it. If someone is making music I like, I am not going to get critical of the techniques they use to get there. If I don’t like someone’s music I’m probably not going to get emotionally invested enough in that situation to care how they treat their guitar.

will richardson

The Tennessee to California Connection
Gold Supporting Member
I'll overlook it for Tommy Emmanuel, but noone else. I probably hate worse shaking the entire guitar which usually, if not allows, renders no vibrato.

There is no "Heavy Tilting Neck Syndrome." Clapton had an SG and a Firebird. Tilt your Guitar at another angle to compensate or sit in a chair if it's really impossible, which it is not. And Noodling leads that crescendo and decrescendo every other note does not sound pro. Guys who are good or great players (besides neophytes or simple unskilled players) could sound pro if they would get rid of the incessant up/down volume every other note. Listen to orchestras and horn bands. But I'm sure they are not in the know like we Guitar Players.

There I feel better. Thanks for the thread.

And...
keep on pickin', without the aforementioned areas of disdain.

will richardson

Last edited:
When I was about 14 or 15, I saw a guy break the neck off of a Gibson Melody Maker during a performance. At 19, I ended up touring with that band for a while; the conversation when I told them that I had been at "that" show was amusing.....

Trending Topics