1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar Neck is NOT a whammy bar! Does this bother anyone else?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by macrossgeorge, Mar 3, 2020.

The guitar's neck is acceptable for bending your notes

1. Yes

63.8%
  2. No

36.2%
  1. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I do it for chords sometimes. So it doesn't bother me.

2. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

They can do it just as long as they don't do it to my guitar :)

Cousin likes this.
  3. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

"Back in the day", you had to smash a 4x12 cab with your guitar and/or burn it on stage to get Opie's reaction.

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

Jim Campilongo does it with verve on his tele; good enough for me to like it.

Telefunky likes this.
  5. Machew

Machew Member

I could care less what anyone does with their own stuff.

Shonka3dogs likes this.
  6. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg I Drink and I Know Things. Silver Supporting Member

Slash snapped off his headstock while doing this, grazed his face & punching a hole in his lip and just missing taking the brunt of the broken head directly into his face. He said he felt really lucky.

7. Harvester of Pain

Harvester of Pain Member

It doesn't bother me. But I think there is a general rule developing through this thread which reads: Each to their own as in, one may only use this technique on one's own guitar.

I think it's all about having mechanical sensitivity. There are some people who will just always strip the thread when tightening a spark plug, and there are some people who will push their neck too far. I'm more comfortable doing it on some guitars than others. My tele will do it no problem, but I'm much more careful doing it on my Ibanez S-Classic with its All Access Neck Joint. I usually use it for a slight detune effect, so I'm not even doing a semitone drop in pitch. You can even get a nice gentle 'neck whammy' effect by lifting the guitar with one hand at the nut, and the other at the rear strap button, hold the guitar facing up, parallel to the ground and the weight of the guitar will do the rest. In my book, any force placed on the neck that doesn't exceed such forces of gravity should be fair game. I mean if a guitar can't hold together under its own weight...

It's never occurred to me to press on the headstock, probably wouldn't bother my tele, but seems like asking for trouble on some designs. I've always done it with my hand near the nut. Consequently there's no pressure on the headstock, I'm just feeling the neck joint.

I would never do it to someone else's guitar, but I do it on mine. But like I said, some people just don't have the feel or mechanical sensitivity, and because of that I wouldn't let others do it to my guitars even though I do it myself.

Calebz, macrossgeorge and J-PPP like this.
  8. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Let people do what they want to their guitar. Like the people that distress it or Scott grove putting bob wire on his guitar. It is easy to do.:confused::dunno

9. middy

middy Member

Why is everyone validating this nonsensical, juvenile premise by replying to it?
    Wait, now I’m doing it! Curse you TGP!

Telefunky likes this.
  10. Shonka3dogs

Shonka3dogs Member

Whatever anyone does to be creative with their instrument is good, and nobody else's business to judge them. If someone gets creative sounds from bending their neck or using a Floyd Rose, good on them.

11. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

With LSD, one’s fretboard can shrink to an infinitesimal ribbon, when looking down at it from the side. Luckily, fingertips can narrow to wires, so you can still play. The effect is even more pronounced with a Rickenbacker 12 string.

Don’t ask me how I know this.

Cousin likes this.
  12. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

When I was 16, I was demonstrating this to a friend on his bolt-on neck Les Paul copy and I broke the neck. Like broke it right off the body.

13. Stratman Dan

Stratman Dan Member

I try to break the neck when I do this move. It's like a test of passage for the guitar. I kinda get disappointed when it doesnt break...almost like the guitar was well built...

Quarter sawn necks are impossible to break like that.

Flat sawn, easier.

14. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

It just strikes me as obnoxiously showboaty. I immediately judge someone when they do it.

That said, I realize that's childish. :D

macrossgeorge likes this.
  15. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

Only with bolt-on necks.

16. babbyb

babbyb Supporting Member

You can bash a stage crasher with a Tele and come back in for the chorus. I think it can take a little manual detune.

Telefunky likes this.
  17. Microdot

Microdot Member

I had to change my vote. The OP title ask "Does this bother anyone else? And without reading the question in the poll I answered "No", It doesn't bother me.

My correct answer is "Yes", The guitar's neck is acceptable for bending your notes. I don't bend the neck but I might one day, I use whammy bars for that. I've seen enough players doing it for years with great results. I might give it a try tonight on the tele. I also want to try the bending the string(s) behind the nut ex. The solo on Heartbreaker.

18. Corvid

Corvid Member

Keeping in mind the length of time I have played guitar is quite short, and time interacting with other guitar players even shorter, I think the first time I (consciously) saw this trick being performed was in a demo of the then-new Offset Series Duo-Sonics made by some local music shop somewhere and posted on YouTube. I immediately grasped the purpose of the manoeuvre, but thought to myself, "I hope you're not planning on putting that back on the shop floor and selling it as new."

19. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

I do it on my own guitars all the time and haven't had a problem. I wouldn't do it with someone else's guitar though.

W.

20. Pyritez

Pyritez Member

This thread could likely be linked to the 'Thinning The Herd' thread.
    That's one way for a very expensive instrument to be turned into a very expensive steaming piece of musical sh*t needing to be "thinned", lol.