Guitar on ebay help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by metheniac, Mar 3, 2015.

1. metheniac

metheniac Supporting Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. mrboston

mrboston Gear Fan Vendor

3. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

Looks legit to me but I'm not a expert. I believe historics have inked SN# not indented ones. Also has nibs, usually not seen on fakes.

4. thecasterkid

thecasterkid Member

looks like a doctored up junior special if you ask me.

[​IMG]

IMHO, the custom shop would NEVER do a LP special w/o a wraptail bridge

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

Looks legit, but the price is definitely not right.

6. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Get a Junior Special and save yourself $1800.

7. mrboston

mrboston Gear Fan Vendor

I'm no expert either .. Good to know the info you brought out��

8. metheniac

I think it is definitely legit but the price seems way high. The serial number is not supposed to be indented on custom shop guitars so I am not the least bit worried it is fake. The strap buttons are not original, the owner has sent me additional pics of the truss, electronics cavity etc.... and they are all original or in good order. There is no certificate for a custom shop but it comes with the high end case which is a bit odd, not sure but looks to be all original otherwise. It is definitely a custom shop build but not really sure how to price it. I would guess in the mid to high teens but not the current asking price. Any more thoughts are welcome.

9. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Historic Specials should have a wraparound bridge not a stop bar, right? Or am l wrong?

10. metheniac

I think you are correct however whoever at the Gibson CS built this based it loosely on the special and then took matters into their own hands. They do that pretty consistently from many of the guitar models I've seen over the years come out of the CS. Not looking for historical accuracy on this one, I just dig it and really kind of wonder what the pricing on it should be.

11. 696

696 Member

Not legit imo. Binding is way too thick. It's an ordinary Special I think.

12. metheniac

I sent the link to Gibson to see if they could verify its authenticity but not sure if they will ever reply.

13. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

That's a really nice looking Jr, I will admit. But real or not that's a lot of dough for a plank. I love them, but you can score some killer unique Jr's for low money.

There is the Limited LP Jr. Special Exclusive (who comes up with these names), the LPS above or a few other great Nashville made Jr variations out there. I know the exclusives can be found with light 1pc bodies and ebony boards. All for less than a grand in mint and a few hundred less as a player. The basics are so basic with this design... what is the point when you find a good one, you have a good one.

R8 money for a Non-Vintage Jr?

14. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Call Gibson by phone for an immediate response.

15. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

There are so many guitars out there. Just move on. If you already question the guitar, it will impact the next purchaser, should you choose to sell.

Rare or not, it lacks popular appointments. It is massively overpriced, IMHO.

16. sleep

sleep Supporting Member

The Custom Shop will absolutely do a Special w/o a wraparound bridge. you just have to order it that way.

I bought an 07 Special single cut out the emporium a few years ago; the original owner specified that it have a TOM bridge and a stinger on the back of the HS. The serial number was the standard R series format, the COA specified 57 w/TOM.

Unfortunately, I no longer have it, but they will put a TOM on a historic LP Special, at least they would a few years ago.

I do agree that the OP's guitar picture looks weird.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  17. nateco

nateco Member

That's not a custom shop guitar like we think of today.

That finish was never offered as a re-issue series colour and the TOM was never offered either.

Those decals were sometimes put on limited runs for stores. I found one example of a standard and the only part that was custom shop was the run was ordered with Grovers and an inked serial number.

It looks like a regular 90's special with a decal...maybe a sam ash limited run.

Also..the case is suspicious....I don't recall them being alligator or whatever that one is and the logo is usually on the lower side.

18. metheniac

I think I have decided to pass on it. I emailed Gibson and though they said it was legitimate they were awfully vague on any real info. All they said was that the serial number matched an 89 model, Duh! They didn't address the special case or the custom shop decal so that tells me nobody there knows or really cares about its history. If the guitar was selling in the 1200.00 range I would probably bite.