Guitar Part in "Green Onions" (Booker T.)

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by stevel, Oct 22, 2008.

1. stevel

stevel Member

What do you guys get for the little "upstroke" chords happening at the beginning of Green Onions after the first organ intro?

I'm thinking simply Fm (xxx111) Bbm and Cm but it doesn't sound "nasty" enough! I'm thinking there might be something else in there but it could just be the tone of the guitar and I'm hearing things.

Anyone else done this one?

TIA,
    Steve

2. JonR

JonR Member

I think henry's nailed it. Other than that, it's just that biting Tele tone of his.

3. stevel

stevel Member

Thanks Henry - I'll try that.

I downloaded these tunes from iTunes and can't select an area to slow down and repeat to hear the pitches (damn copy protection).

By the way, do I need to switch to an 8 string guitar for that last chord :AOK

Steve

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

And don't forget you need to play it through a Fender Harvard. :BEER
    With regard to that I just read an article where he's using Victoria Tweed Twins these days.

5. JonR

JonR Member

youtube and Transcribe. ;)
    http://www.seventhstring.com/
    (It might even work with itunes downloads, I dunno...)

6. stevel

stevel Member

Naw, Jon, that's what I was using - Transcribe (the trial version mind you). It won't accept those AIC files.

I've had a lot of success taking just a single chord, putting it on loop playback, and being able to pick out the individual notes of the chord - don't even have to slow it down to do that if you make the selection right. But it's only helping me on things I have on CD or have imported - not those damn iTunes ones (there's probably a workaround, though I haven't bothered looking into it).

Thanks,
    Steve

7. potsticker

potsticker Member

Use Audacity to capture the audio (as mp3) while you play the YouTube clip, then Transcribe! it.

Russ

8. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    no doubt, but in a pinch Marshall half-stacks will do nicely...

:cool:

9. JonR

JonR Member

Transcribe can record directly as you play the youtube clip. It will save as a WAV file on PC (or AIFF on Apple), but if you want to keep it as an MP3, other software (such as Audacity) will convert it.

Transcribe works better with WAVs, btw, because they are less "lossy" (although of course youtube sound is hardly high quality to begin with...)

10. JonR

JonR Member

See my above post. You can record directly into Transcribe from a youtube video - if you can find a suitable version (most stuff on youtube is live).
    The current version of Transcribe even slows down videos! (but you need to download them first and convert them to the right format, which I've found complicated).
    AFAIK, the demo version of Transcribe is the complete program, it just expires after a month.

11. Swain

Swain Member

iPod Util is a great program for doing all those things with iTunes and an iPod, that "they" don't want you to do.

12. stevel

stevel Member

Thanks Henry, I figured the Bm was just a typo. I'm getting ready to warm up the tubes here in a second, so I'll try it out.

Steve

13. stevel

stevel Member

How?

TIA,
    Steve