Guitar picks: anyobe ever get a weird reaction from certain materials?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by esoteric pete, Jan 27, 2015.

1. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

I've noticed over recent years, that I get this weird kind of dry skin on my left thumb and the side of my left pointer finger...and it's not like this on my other hand...it's not bad, but kind Rougher than the other hand and sometimes I get what's almost like really small cracks, and peeling and the skin just seems more callous...

As I thought about why this might be occurring, I thought the only thing I do consistently is hold my pic with those two fingers...and for quite some time I have been using one specific kind if pick, the pickboy pos-a-jazz.

These pics are (I believe) celluloid an made in japan. I am starting to wonder if I'm getting a reaction to the material??

Anyone ever get a reaction to something like this? I really love these picks... I have been using them for years now and find it hard to use something else...

2. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

I have not. I guess like the doctor said, if it bothers you then just don't do that.

Seems easy enough to find out if you have some allergy to them. Switch to something else for a while and see.

3. esoteric pete

Yeah, I here ya

Would just be too bad as I LOVE these picks.

4. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

stick something to the pick where you grip it mebbe? like a bandaid or adhesive tape?

5. esoteric pete

I lm not sure that would make a difference and I wouldn't want to do that anyway....

6. qblue

qblue Member

Go to a dermatologist and hope its an allergy as opposed to a something chronic like psoriasis or something.

7. mughead

mughead Member

tape a pick to the soft skin on your forearm see if it reacts as you go about your day?

i can appreciate how much of a PITA it would be to have a reaction to your favourite picks because the only one for me is fender extra heavy 351's, nothing else will do! id rather eat my shoe than change.

8. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    I use a celluloid Pick Boy and I haven't had any sensitivities, but I am also a lot less reactive to the usual allergens than many people I know. I did some digging and found this page about contact dermatitis that mentions celluloid in the plastics category (warning - graphic pictures) -

http://www.iacdworld.org/skin/contact.htm

so I would think it is entirely possible you are reacting to it. I don't think all is lost if you are though, a non greasy barrier cream might act as enough of a prophylactic to minimize the effects - I've used PR88 before and found it to be an effective barrier -

[​IMG]