Guitar picks - why can't I get the old snub nose types

PCDL1

Can someone out there tell me if it's my imagination.....but I always used to use (80's) nylon picks that had what I would describe as a "snub nose" I.e. the picking corner was shorter and more rounded that today's standard picks from Dunlop and Herco etc. Over the years they seem to have disappeared and I guess I just got used to using the current, regular picks. For some reason, they popped into my head recently and I decided I'd buy some but cannot find any in shops or online. The only picks I can find with a similar profile are very heavy/hard plastic types, whereas I'm looking for nylon in the .60/.73 region. Was I dreaming? Does anyone else remember these? Can they still be got? Thanks.

lowyaw

are you sure you don't have sharp and regular pick shapes confused?
sorry if i'm playing capt obvious here
Sharp

regular

PCDL1

are you sure you don't have sharp and regular pick shapes confused?
sorry if i'm playing capt obvious here
Sharp

regular

Unfortunately not....the picking corner, as far as I can remember, was quite close in size and profile to the other, non picking corners.

PCDL1

Dunlop also makes tear drop picks in Tortex....that may be what you're looking for.
Tried the Tortex but keeping dropping em.....No grip like the nylon. Though the tear drop description is probably better than mine....I'll search using that- thanks.

JWDubois

With some clippers and sandpaper you can reshape the tip anyway you like.

I do this to round the tips off my Tortex picks for playing bass.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
Many years ago I read that Ted Nugent turns the pick around and uses the rounded edge.
I tried it, and have been picking that way for 30+ years.

Not sure if that would be a solution, but it might be worth a try.

strumnhum

Tried the Tortex but keeping dropping em.....No grip like the nylon. Though the tear drop description is probably better than mine....I'll search using that- thanks.
Have you tried scribing in a crosshatch pattern with an exacto or utility "knife"--works for me!

Mc Tanza

George Dennis makes exactly what you want, or so I think based on your description:

Nylon picks, rounded picking edge, available in various thickness gauges.

custom53

Is there a "Music Go Round" close to you.. For some reason they always have the exact picks that I like to use. And I think I have seen the "Stubby" ones there also..

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Many years ago I read that Ted Nugent turns the pick around and uses the rounded edge.

|Stevie Ray Vaughan did the same thing. I used to do it as well until I switched to V Picks.
but since I use the V Pick 1980 and Freakishly Large rounded, all corners are the same. Love that!~

mikebat

i used to really like the rounded profile, especially for funk gigs with a lot of comping, but lately....i really can't play with them anymore. They rotate in my hand and soon I am getting the butt end and the tone gets wishy washy and vague.

I just went back to the boring old teardrop and I am back home.

PCDL1

Yeah, that's what I do now but I find sometimes that I scratch the strings with the grip area....not a problem when overdriving but nasty when looking for a clean or harmonic.

PCDL1

George Dennis makes exactly what you want, or so I think based on your description:

Nylon picks, rounded picking edge, available in various thickness gauges.
Thanks.....very close - I'll check them out. I remember the picking corner being even flatter.....like the other two.

PCDL1

i used to really like the rounded profile, especially for funk gigs with a lot of comping, but lately....i really can't play with them anymore. They rotate in my hand and soon I am getting the butt end and the tone gets wishy washy and vague.

I just went back to the boring old teardrop and I am back home.
For me there's just too much "pick" with the regular shape.......I'm constantly moving it round in my fingers as I'm playing to get the right amount "extruding" and the right angle. (As I'm putting this down in writing I'm feeling like I'm being just a little bit......picky, pardon the pun!)

Semitone

When you say "stubby", I'm thinking " jazz" picks. I bought a gross of the Gibson stubbys in the 70s and am still working my way through them even though I've since decided I don't really like them. Not sure why I bought so many, I must have got a really good deal.

Trending Topics