Guitar pickups and digital modeling

MONSTER ZERO

I recently bought a Mustang Floor and love it by the way but that's not my topic here. I noticed that playing around with some of my guitars that even the backups I have with cheapie stock pickups sound pretty good through this MF and other MFX units I've used. In one case an old strat copy I have with stock singles sounds better through the MF than my American Strat loaded with Lace Sensors or my Tele w/ Mojotones. Not only sound better but react better and with sweeter sounding natural feedback tones.

Anyone else here use Digital Modeling and experience the same or similar thing? I find it refreshing.

Last edited:

Staggerlee

I recently bought a Mustang Floor and love it by the way but that's not my topic here. I noticed that playing around with some of my guitars that even the backups I have with cheapie stock pickups sound pretty good through this MF and other MFX units I've used. In one case an old strat copy I have with stock singles sounds better through the MF than my American Strat loaded with Lace Sensors or my Tele w/ Mojotones. Not only sound better but react better and with sweeter sounding natural feedback tones.

Anyone else here use Digital Modeling and experience the same or similar thing? I find it refreshing.
Generally a crappy guitar through a great amp sounds better than a great guitar through a crappy amp. I had the Mustang Floor and it is decent. Chances are however that it doesn't let your great guitars shine through.

dazco

Chances are however that it doesn't let your great guitars shine through.
I beg to differ. That is, assuming the floor is anything like my MIII V2 combo. Name a high end tube amp and i've probably at least played thru it for a few minutes if not for a time. I have access to a lot of them, and i've owned and built a lot of tube amps. That mustang, at least the one i have, shows the difference between my guitars so much more than ANY tube amp I've owned or am familiar with it's frightening. Now, maybe the floor is different in that regard, tho the OP seems to be confirming what i found with my MIIIV2. I do know the floor is V1 and doesn't have all the models, plus some of them had a fizz issue. But i think they are suppose to other wise be very similar.

Brutus

You never know with a modeler. I've had some that only sounded good on the bridge pickup. Matter of fact, almost all of them EXCEPT... The mustang. Somehow or other they put some magic in there that gets the job done.

MONSTER ZERO

I beg to differ. That is, assuming the floor is anything like my MIII V2 combo. Name a high end tube amp and i've probably at least played thru it for a few minutes if not for a time. I have access to a lot of them, and i've owned and built a lot of tube amps. That mustang, at least the one i have, shows the difference between my guitars so much more than ANY tube amp I've owned or am familiar with it's frightening. Now, maybe the floor is different in that regard, tho the OP seems to be confirming what i found with my MIIIV2. I do know the floor is V1 and doesn't have all the models, plus some of them had a fizz issue. But i think they are suppose to other wise be very similar.
No fizz yet that I can find and as we discussed over in the MF thread the Mustang Series brings out (or reacts to) every pickup differently. I cant say for sure that this reaction is bringing out the true tone of a pickup but for sure it reacts to every different pickup.

I'm just tickled pink that it seems to sound well with stock pups. I've almost always had to spend a good amount of cash to get tones I liked swapping out pups before I got that thing.

kiwicanuck

With a lower cost modelling amp most of the "goodness" is added digitally, so having a lot of complex overtones (like a good guitar with good pickups gives you) isn't necessarily a benefit and as you've noticed can be detrimental.

So if you're going to use a budget amp, don't bother with a high end guitar unless it's just for playability.

Just to be clear - do your higher end guitars sound better through a good tube amp than the cheaper ones?

MONSTER ZERO

With a lower cost modelling amp most of the "goodness" is added digitally, so having a lot of complex overtones (like a good guitar with good pickups gives you) isn't necessarily a benefit and as you've noticed can be detrimental.

So if you're going to use a budget amp, don't bother with a high end guitar unless it's just for playability.

Just to be clear - do your higher end guitars sound better through a good tube amp than the cheaper ones?
Tough to say as I didn't A/B pickups deliberately. I couldn't believe my ears once I learned how to use the MF though so I did go back and forth between MF/No MF on all of my amps including my tube amps just to confirm what I thought I was hearing and the MF made all of my amps and guitars come alive with clarity and dynamics. I dont want to hijack my own thread into a MF rump swabbing session so I will say I'm going to try that tonight with my higher end guitars and see what I get.

I will report back, My tube amps by the way are a 76 SF Twin stock, a Randall RT50C and a Carvin XV112E Combo. I ended up being the happiest though with a Tubeworks RT-2100 head into a 1990's Laney 4x12 cab loaded w/ British V30's.

Trending Topics