• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Guitar Pickups: What we need is...

ShinobiKama

a major alternative to Dimarzio and Duncan that falls in their price range. I'm tired of Seymour Duncan pickups, and Dimarzio has gone wild with the high-gain ceramic stuff lately, but the other pickup brands I like cost twice as much. I have tried some of the Golden Age, GFS, Tone Rider, etc... Their pickups are actually pretty good, but I haven't really been struck by them as having enough individual character or the right feel. Sometimes they feel flat or sound a bit generic, just don't really grab you the way the major brands do.

David Allens are really good and his pickups aren't as expensive as Bareknuckle (my favorite), WCR, Motor City, etc..., but you can't beat the tone and character Dimarzio offers at the price they offer it. Freaking replica PAF's and stuff are great and all, but I ain't one of those guys who buys Gibson R(x) $$$$$ whatever.

So it seems basically there are the budget pickups which almost get you there, Dimarzio and Duncan's regular line (although Duncan seems to be kind of relegating the smaller spenders to their crusty line these days), then there are the expensive pickups like Rio Grande, David Allen, etc.., then the real expensive stuff.... Oh yeah, then there is that $1000+ Seymour Duncan Zephyr deal that only a person with the hearing ability to distinguish bird species from the sounds of their farts can figure out why they're worth spending $900+ more to buy. I won't get into discussing EMG's, actives etc...; and though EMG makes some passive pickups, they're not really anything to write home about.

Therefore, what options are there in the right price range? Perhaps none, and perhaps that's why Dimarzio and Duncan are so successful. Some of the promising players that pop up, if they offer some variety, seem to die off.

Moreover, Dimarzio is king of the single-size humbuckers, but aside from the ones Duncan makes, no one else makes them. Why is that? Are they difficult to manufacture or something?

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Suhr makes a variety of humbuckers and single coils that are competitively priced when compared to Duncan and Dimarzio.
-
Austin

ShinobiKama

Suhr makes a variety of humbuckers and single coils that are competitively priced when compared to Duncan and Dimarzio.
-
Austin
Ah yes, they are indeed great pickups. I have a set of the SSH+ in one of my Warmoth strats. They seem to fit into the same category/price range as David Allen, Rio Grande, etc...

True... It's definitely pretty shocking to think of how few pickup choices we have these days.
That's not what I said so your point is?

Look into Porter Pickups.
Checked them out... Pretty cool and prices are pretty much in line with the Suhr stuff. Thanks for the info.

bgmacaw

I've liked the GFS ones I tried. I think the further you get away from the Artec rebrands and toward the pickups they've spec'ed out and are unique to GFS the better they get (ie less generic sounding).

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
No point, man... just poking a little fun at this severe first world problem.

Dimarzios and Duncans have served me pretty well.

I've also bought many used Fralins, Lollars, Antiquities, Fender Custom Shop and Gibson pickups for roughly the same price as new Duncans and Dimarzios.

I've had pretty good luck with some of the GFS options like the Premium Alnico II strat set, Premium Alnico V strat set, GFS Classic Alnico II, Pro Alnico V and the VEH as well as their Mean 90 (HB-sized P90s).

BG Pickups and Rose Pickups also have some nice offerings though I haven't tried any of their traditional or modern-ish humbuckers. BG's Pure 90s (HB-sized P90s) and Rose's Mariposa and Buff Beauties strat sets are nice.

I get your question and meant no slight. It just seems like almost once a week we see a thread complaining about the overwhelming number of pickup options and how daunting the wide selection can be. Your thread is a welcome alternative to that outlook and I apoligize for poking fun.

Good luck in your search.

UncleLarry

Another vote for GFS. They don't get too much love around here, but some of their selections are quite good and somewhat unique. Their P90-type, Retrotron, and Professional Series pups are very good. I have a set of their Gold Foil humbuckers in my Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet, and they sound excellent.

omfg51

John Benson Custom Pickups. Very affordable, and he winds custom pickups according to your spec. What's not to like?

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Lawrence USA, not a giant selection but all classic models with single sized hum canceling models. TV Jones are not any more expensive than Duncan's covered Seth Lovers. Lace has many different models and styles, plenty of them single sized without hum.
You can't just stare out the cabin window at the same two pine trees and complain there's not enough forest. Are you really saying that the world needs another really big production factory to make their version of every classic pickup that pretty much already exists? You can LITERALLY buy a hundred different "versions" of a late 50s PAF. I can pick up the phone and order FIFTEEN different sets of Telecater pickups from Fender alone!
Never before in history has there been so many different choices from so many different manufacturers at so many different price points and at such high levels of overall quality.