Guitar Player Cable "Fight Club" Opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dorfmeister, Apr 12, 2008.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Guitar Player did a test of 49 cables at a range of price points in the May 2008 issue.

What is your take on the methodology and results?

Some cables that I might not have expected were rated very high.

2. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

3. supar6

supar6 Member

I didn't see the article although I would have liked to have seen it. Any links to it?

4. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I don't think it is on-line yet as it is in the most recent issue.

5. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

I think it was done as objectively as these type of comparisons can be done. Bottom line is what sounds best to you thru your own rig . I think it was a helpful article and made me aware of some cables I didn't know about.

6. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Some of them are $200 plus. I would really like to hear some of them side by side to see if I could tell a difference. Based on the reviews, why spend more than $70 something for the Evidence Melody when it scored all 5's? That's still high for me though. I might upgrade my 20 foot whatever it is-probably Live Wire or Horizen or Whirlwind-not sure, to something a little better-maybe a nice braided Spectraflex. Not sure what the "vibe" rating is-how does a cable have vibe? And how's the Spectraflex Fatso get the winner's circle when the Original rated higher and costs $15 less?

7. Steven

Steven Member

I´m not trying to start a war here but I have never heard any difference between different cables other then when they malfunction. I wish I could have the abillity to hear it. Its a bit like NOS tubes I guess. I just cant hear the magic. I think that in a live situation you have about 1000 other variables that has a much bigger impact on your sound then the type of cable you use. Unfortuantely I dont hear any difference in the studio either. Maby my hearing has been affected by palying the guitar to long and to loud.

8. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I haven't either really-some even say the cheap ones sound better because of the rolled off highs. I wouldn't spend anywhere near what some of those cables cost-maybe under $50 would be my limit for one that scored high. I do have mostly George L's on my board but I'm not sure I can hear a difference.

9. ford

ford Supporting Member

I can hear a big difference between my ten year old Dimarzio "silver" cable I have..(love this cable, built like a tank and sounds great) and the 15 foot Monster Rock cable I recently sold. The Monster just seemed a bit muffled. I haven't tried any of the real high end cables and I get great tone with what I have so I probably won't try any.

I do have Bill Lawrence patch cables arriving soon to try out. They aren't really expensive.

rock

bford

10. ibobunot

ibobunot Member

11. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

12. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I wanted to try the George L cables anyway so that is really cool that it scored well...

13. crifasta

crifasta Gold Supporting Member

They should've had a rating on tangling instead of the useless "vibe" rating. I have a pricey Monster and it sounds ok, but damn, it tangles like crazy!

14. ibobunot

ibobunot Member

The first thing I noticed was the companies that advertise the most scored the highest on the tests.

Monster, Mogami... :confused:

15. Brien

Brien Member

I didn't find this to be true. The midrange offerings from both companies didn't fair to well at all.

16. MkF!

MkF! Member

I'd like to see a test like this by someone independent that has absolutely no bias. I'm not sayin' the test isn't legit - but my brain is telling me not to trust it.

Darn brain.

~MkF!
    "The results, please!"

17. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Ignoring the fact that GP may have allegiance to certain sponsors, I think the shootout is valuable in some ways. I wish they had compared across the board rather than separating by price. They should've also indicated more about what went into the ratings each cable got too. They only briefly covered what the testing process was. The "vibe" category is certainly non-specific but I'm curious what it meant to each tester. I'd like to see what each tester's musical style and favorite cables were as that could be useful. Ah who knows? That's probably too much to expect in a corporate sponsored rag. Although I don't want to rag on GP too much because I do think they try.