Guitar player needs strings for bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by bluesrules, Feb 8, 2008.

1. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Hello TGP Bass brothers and sisters.

Hoping you can help me get a good set of strings for my "Home Foolin' Around" Bass. I've had it for 3 years and finally broke a string at the tuning post. It's a Peavey NTB 4 Grind (neck-thru) with a 35" scale (short/long?).

I don't remember what gauge I had on there but I'll tell that I got the truss-rod backed all the way off and was trying to get the strings to bend the neck more. The action has to be pretty high to quiet the fret buzz and I was thinking if I could bend the neck in the middle more, I could lower the action (damn guitar players, huh?)

So whats the right gauge for me, I don't attempt slap playing, just want smooth bass notes. I got big enough hands for the meaty strings but I don't think I want to go extremely thick. Flatwound, roundwound?

I would be willing to pay for a string brand that will hold up longer (breakage) since I only play bass a couple of times a month. Think Mid-priced.

So what ya recommend? Brand, gauge, Flat/Round and is 35" short scale?

2. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I don't have a lot of experience to refer to for you, but I'll share what I do have. I'm a guitar player too, over 45 years worth. I bought a bass about 15 years ago to do some bass tracks on recordings I was fooling around with. It basically lived in a closet all these years, I never even changed the strings. It was inexpensive, but played and sounded ok. Last year I pulled it out due to a new fascination with bass. I was having so much fun that I went out and got some D'Addario Roundwounds for it. WoW! It was great. Within a few months, I went out and got an American Fender Jazz. I'm now on my 3rd set of strings since summer. Not from necessity, but rather to find what I like. I started with the stock Fender roundwounds, next went to D'Addario in a heavier gauge. 'Liked them better. Then decided to try Fender Flatwound Stainless .055, .070,.090, .105, 34" scale. LOVE 'EM ! They feel wonderful, they're toneful, and not dead sounding as I was afraid they would be. I have a xl-xxl glove size and play D'Addario roundwound 11's 0r 12's with a .020 G on my guitars and like a beefier string.

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I use D'Addario 50-105s on most of my basses, 45-100 on the other bass.

4. Tripper

Tripper Member

35" is long scale.

You can't go wrong with a set of D'Addario XLs if you want the best balance of quality and price.

If you're planning on tuning standard, I'd recommend using a 40-100 (or 45-100 or even a 40-95) set because it will reduce the tension on the strings. If you plan on tuning down to D or lower (Eb I'd still recommend the 40-100), you should use a thicker-gauge set.

That's just my take, being the owner of six basses of varying scale lengths from 30-35" (30" is a short-scale bass, FYI)

Hope that helped!
    Tripper

5. otaypanky

Tripper, do you get much fret buzz with that gauge string set? I decided to go heavier for that reason, but don't have any bass experience per se. I did of course make sure my string height was correct according to the Fender online set up guide, but still had the problem. maybe I was too heavy handed with my right hand?

6. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Hah! Guitarists always get "fret buzz" on basses, till they know what they are doing..(there is a different technique) :rolleyes:

at 35 inch scale, do the strings go through the body? If that is the case, then longs wont cut it...you will need superlongs or some such...

if you really want to cut down on noise, get flats, something like daddario Chromes will still be clear and punchy, but with none of the noise of round wounds.

But also check your neck relief, that can have a lot to do with it..

signed, bass player

7. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

No not string thru.

I found the package label of the strings I had on there, GHS Bass Boomers .050 .070 .095 .115 (roundwounds) and I thought the G and D string sounded thin!

I got some heavy Rotosound Flatwound RS88LD .065 .075 .100 .115 coming from MF. They ought to pull on that neck some, eh? Hopefully I'll be able to lower the action some now.

Very interested what the massive G and D is going to sound like. Thanks 4 the info, cats!

8. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Just throwing this out there in case anyone's interested:

I had the new strings on for two days now, again there:

.065 .075 .100 .115 which replaced GHS Bass Boomers .050 -.115

These Roto's are Black nylon and were way weird when I pulled them out of the package, they didn't even fell like bass strings. More like plastic cable!

But I love how they sound compared to the Boomers. The G and D string sound way more musical. I was very suprised how well they sounded with a pick! I always fingerpicked the boomers and picking them sounded real bad.

The only thing I've noticed is the E string sounds a hair flabby when fingerpicked. It almost feels like there's not enough tension on it, like it's not tuned up when in fact it is. The other strings have a very nice "tight" sound. In all fairness I only tried the bass thru 2 Fender guitar amps and a Roland keyboard amp at med-low volumes. May need a real bass amp to tighten the Low notes up. But the trade off of quiet flatwounds more than makes up all this!

I did read somewhere that these have low tension for how big they are. When these break down I try some other high tension Flatwounds. Check back 3 years from now.:NUTS

9. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Damn... 115...

Not for me, thanks...

10. otaypanky

I've heard some good things about those strings. Did you have any problem with them sitting down in the nut?