Guitar Player: "WHO WILL SAVE THE GUITAR?"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tiktok, Feb 8, 2017.

1. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Latest issue of GP arrived yesterday with the cover story "WHO WILL SAVE THE GUITAR? STUDIES SHOW TEENS QUIT PLAYING GUITAR AT AN ALARMING RATE--HOW DO WE KEEP YOUNG PLAYERS ROCKING OUT?", accompanied by a picture of a white, blonde male playing a guitar solo while crowd surfing a white audience.

Apparently the possibility that should guitar need "saving", it won't be done by a white dude playing rock music, let alone guitar solos, wasn't on their radar.

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

The instrument of choice in the 30's, 40's and part of the 50's was the Clarinet or Trumpet. Big band sound. People were nuts over it. Guitars weren't even on the radar. Benny Goodwin etc drove the popularity. The guitar run has been 50 years.... pretty good, but things change. You know how you think of the clarinet now? That's how your grandkids will be thinking about the guitar. Things change. Coal ain't coming back.

Mark 63, n9ne, 1941WillysMB and 7 others like this.
  3. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

Coal is my favorite instrument.

4. Matt L

Matt L Member

Why not? Why do you think it will take a minority?

sportycliff and fretless like this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Who will "save" guitar? Taylor Swift.

will132, jb70, Spacehead_ and 6 others like this.
  6. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Maybe they should have released a different cover for each cultural demographic so as not to offend?

Why fan the flames of a very hot-button topic for multiple races? The original post comes off with some veiled racism in a trolling manner.

7. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

That's a coincidence. The latest issue of Clarinet Player magazine has a similar cover story.

8. Matt L

Matt L Member

Here's my take, similar to the first reply-

The mystery and danger of the "cool hip rock guitar" has been plundered and mined for all it is worth. Every nook and cranny has been explored. Nothing is mysterious now. This forum and the internet itself is partly to blame. It is too easy and mapped out. Someone somewhere is doing it, and we've seen it, and we know how they're doing it.

9. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

Hold my beer - I've got this. Just let me find my tan Dockers....

10. sahhas

sahhas Member

haven't seen a guitar player magazine in years.....

11. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

I totally get where you're coming from @tiktok.

I think that electric guitar music was all about innovation early on - consider the blues greats, Les Paul (the man), Jimi Hendrix and many more... however, nowadays we're stuck in the past - 'they don't make Fenders the way they used to', 'nobody does music like Led Zeppelin anymore'... we're basically sending a message that there's a glass ceiling set by bands made of 4-5 thin white guys in the late sixties, using instruments that you can't afford...

12. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

BTW, did GP offer a thesis as to what gives the electric guitar more right to remain popular longer than any other instrument?

13. Bussman

Bussman Member

Aren't whites the minority globally speaking?

14. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

It had pretty much run it's course after Hendrix and Van Halen, they left no meat on the bone.

15. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

I don't think that it's about rights. It's evolution, guitarists (the ones that might actually need saving, not the guitat) might want to ask themselves what they should do so guitar orientated music will still get airplay and royalties...

16. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

How bout that John Meyer guy?

17. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Dunno--I'd ask a teenager what they think of him, if I was concerned that "TEENS QUITE PLAYING GUITAR AT AN ALARMING RATE". Does he register on their radar, at all, let alone as someone to emulate from a guitar-playing standpoint?

18. cocobolo

cocobolo Supporting Member

You might as well just ask when will record companies pay for recorded guitar again. Who knows...maybe another ten or twenty years it will cycle back again? Maybe better, who cares?! There is so much great guitar centered music available it is ridiculous.

My main problem is that all the bands I go see live are getting older and not touring as much. It wouldn't hurt to find someone new/younger that can keep it going. Hey you, YES YOU! Uncle Sam needs talented young musicians to join the jam band army.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Murray Rothbard likes this.
  19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

They were probably just trying to appeal to their demographic. I got my issue, too, (yeah, I still subscribe) and thumbed thru it......didn't read any articles yet, but was surprised at the lack of content, and a good 1/3 of the mag is devoted to "Frets", the old acoustic guitar mag......I have little to no interest in that.......

Very true, and yet, by all consideration that appears to be the opinion of many TGP'ers, too.......and not just that.......many people I have played with in the past decade or so.....they like old music, in large part from the seventies, don't listen to anything new, don't want to know about any new artists (many of which use the guitar) and are simply stuck in the past.

Have any of these folks spent time learning the guitar parts of Maroon 5 songs, or Mark Ronson or Nile Rodgers parts on hit songs?

I'm ranting.....sorry.....

20. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

We're on the verge of Rock Preservation Societies where all the members look straight out of Rigs of Dad