• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guitar Player With Keys

Rockyrollercat

I play guitar at the bar gig level and I just started learning piano. Music is classic rock blues and oldies. I'm looking for suggestions for a basic but quality key board set up for simple parts and fills that would sit unobtrusive just behind the mic stand.

Thanks,
RRC

FoxV

What types of parts (organ, piano?) and what price range?

Does feel of keys matter? Or size and weight of board?

rsm

Korg: MicroKorg, Minilogue. Roland: JD-Xi or one of the boutiques.

For a single keyboard with flexibility, I'd look for something that is polyphonic, with MIDI and sequencer; 25 - 49 keys. You could program sequences and use a MIDI controller to control when they play etc.

straightblues

I was in the same spot and decided to go a different direction. I went with the Electro Harmonix Keyboard pedals for guitar. I have the B9. There is also a C9 and a couple others. I also have a Digitech Dirty Robot for synth tones. With these two pedals, I can easily carry keyboard parts for my bar band. The key to these pedals is the way you approach your guitar playing. When playing with the pedals, you really need to approach your guitar like a keyboard player. There is a learning curve, but I get very good results. Certainly good enough for bar gigs.

Babysquid

LOL, I was thinking Yamaha MP12.

RRC
Lol my bad! The GX1 would of course do for synth sounds but you'll also definitely need a Hammond b3 with at least two Leslie 147s, a Rhodes stage 88, Yamaha cp80, Clavinet d6, a Mellotron MkII and a very big mic stand to hide them behind! And a road crew

Babysquid

But seriously though. There are plenty of discrete keyboards out there that should easily tackle what you need. One thing to bear in mind though is key size. Some of the smaller keyboards have mini keys and to most these don't have the feel or ease of play of a full size keyboard. You could get a midi keyboard and use it to control a stand alone synth module. There are plenty of options and of course the best way for you to decide is to get down to a music store and have a try and see what tickles your fancy.

mojotele65

Do you have an Ipad? lots of killer synths and keys sounds on there. Grab a midi keyboard and CCK and you are all set. I currently use a Nord Electro 4 SW73. I didn't have that or an Ipad, I would probably get a Roland Juno-G. Korg MicroKorg is a killer synth in a small package, but falls short if you want B3 or Rhodes sounds.

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
Yamaha's MO series is worth looking at.
The first generation is cheap ( used) and has great sounds / programmed beats.

SuhrFTW

I see a lot of different types of keyboard suggestions... you'll need to narrow down your selections as the first reply mentioned. I.E, weighted keys or not, aftertouch etc etc... that Yamaha MP you're thinking of IMO has rather poor touch feel, but that's expected on a keyboard of that price range.

The MX-49 might indeed be a fine selection, however, I'd say ONLY if you'll be fine with 49 keys and aren't into programming the keyboard too much. Personally, I'd look at the MX-61 instead. Keep in mind that these are synthesizers with synth action keys... they're NOT pianos. I do however have one and have used its piano rhythms, with a good enough setup it might do the job.

Alternatively, for your piano usage you might want to look at the Nords, or a MOXF. Those are likely way out of your budget however.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom