• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guitar pot values and wiring strategies?

Barnzy

Hi All,
I am working away at reassembly of a partscaster and am diving in on wiring the electronics. I have a question about pots and positions.

I have three Dimarzio Pots that are all 500k log, but in actuality there is variation in their values. I have 467k, 486k and 532k according to my DMM. Where would you put the pots in my Strat pickguard?

It is going to be wired HSS with the Dimarzio Airzone bridge humbucker, middle steelpole 42 (Fralin) and a neck Blue Velvet (Dimarzio).

I’m very interested to hear your thoughts on how to take the best advantage of the different tolerances for a master vol, neck tone and bridge/middle tone!

Thanks for your advice again!
Barnzy

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
those differences are minimal, well within tolerance

still, i'd put the lowest value one in the volume slot and the highest one as the humbucker tone. lower value volume pots trade off brightness at "10" for a better sweep with less treble loss through the rest of the range. in fact i'd suggest a 250k volume for the single coils, they'll be kinda brittle with a 500k volume. you could fake it by keeping all the 500k pots and putting a 500k resistor across the neck hot and ground to turn that volume into a 250k for the neck and N+M settings

Barnzy

Thanks @walterw ! Helpful as always! About that resistor for the neck and middle… would I solder them at the 5 way switch contact for each individual pickup and ground both to the volume pot? I like that idea and am just trying to figure out the layout…

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
About that resistor for the neck and middle… would I solder them at the 5 way switch contact for each individual pickup and ground both to the volume pot?
no no, it's just one resistor for the neck pickup. if you do two then the N+M setting will have two resistors on it dulling the sound too much. you'd also have a resistor on the M+B setting, which being a steel pole and a full-on humbucker probably doesn't need one.

yes, putting it from the pickup connection at the switch to ground would do the trick

Barnzy

no no, it's just one resistor for the neck pickup. if you do two then the N+M setting will have two resistors on it dulling the sound too much. you'd also have a resistor on the M+B setting, which being a steel pole and a full-on humbucker probably doesn't need one.

yes, putting it from the pickup connection at the switch to ground would do the trick
Got it! Thanks so much Walter!

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer 300 300 for HBs.
Running that even with my Super D.

Caps usually. 015 bridge .005 neck

But then again I'm a blues player and like the softer less
aggressive tone.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Very interesting. I usually stick the lowest value for neck tone, highest for bridge volume. The theory being that you can always take away a little brightness depending on situation.

but yes, I also use 250k for fender sc and 500k for hbs

Trending Topics

Top Bottom