Guitar Practice(Acoustic vs Electric)

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by goodtone, Mar 4, 2008.

1. goodtone

goodtone Member

When I practice my guitar I think about left hand and right hand dexterity (strength) plus ear training so my guitar choice is acoustic guitar. To me it's like weight training before the real competition which is playing electric. Of course some folks go the opposite way and play their favorite electric. My question is what guitar do you like to use for practice and for what purpose ?

2. stumboid

stumboid Member

Me, I write most, if not all, of my songs on acoustic, then translate it to electric if necessary. I love playing my electric, but I find myself playing the acoustic 90% of the time, which definitely helps especially when it makes bending on the electric like butter.

3. kimock

kimock Member

I prefer the acoustic for most stuff as well, although I don't really see it as "weight training". A lot of my planks are set up heavier, higher, and stiffer than my fave acoustics.
    I'd rather practice on a cheap archtop than a Martin flat top, which is kind of weird I guess, but I'm OK with a flat top square neck or archtop for lap.
    I'll practice on the electric if I'm working on some specific sound with the amp, but the amp thing can be kind of a distraction.
    On long drives I practice on the baritone uke, that's a lot of fun!
    Most of the time at home at I just play lap style slide.
    More meditation than "practice" if you know what I mean.

peace

4. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

I tend to practice on the guitar that I'm using the most in a live situation. At the moment, that's the electric. However, I still try to break out the acoustic every few weeks, if only to keep my fingerstyle technique up to scratch.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

acoustic mainly, and electric for when the song calls for it. funny thing is, i chunk loud on acoustic, but play softer quieter fingerstyle stuff on electric.

6. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

I play heaps on acoustic, writing songs is easier for me, they come more naturally, plus the tone of a really nice acoustic is so nice.

7. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

It depends on what I am working on. Usually it is the acoustic for general practice, but if I am working out a lead it is the electric. I need the extra frets and I don't want to kill myself on bends. Even then it is unplugged a lot of the time.

8. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

They both have there merits-

I love to play on acoustic mostly... I have the luck of owning a really nice Martin, Gibson and National guitar- so playing these instruments is such a joy and isn't as loud as playing an electric for 4 or 5 hours straight...a tad obnoxious.

However, I love working on things that are specific to the electric and really trying to make that instrument as dynamic and beautiful as it can be.

From a physical standpoint, acoustic is really great for building power, but you do have to reign it in when you play electric.

JD

9. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I try to practice on whatever I intend to play.

:RoCkIn

10. goodtone

goodtone Member

Thanks for the info GP...

11. DeCosteOnline

DeCosteOnline Member

i like writing on my acoustic as well. once i have something worth pursuing, i move over to the electric and layer it w/ as many effects as possible. during live shows, i'll sometimes go back to the acoustic version which keeps it fresh and gives the listener something different.