Guitar Practice Journal Idea

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by dos87, Sep 9, 2018.

1. dos87

dos87 Member

Hi guys,

I'm a guitarist and entrepreneur who is looking for feedback on an idea I have for a hardcover practice journal, which is something I've always wanted in order to track my practice and know the most important things to focus on in order to get the best results from my practice.

The journal idea as it stands at the moment is going to have a daily section consisting of date, 3 most important practice goals for the day, exercises (3 most important with time allotted, star ratings for how you felt you improved and a notes section. Underneath that is supplementary exercises and then a daily reflection on how the musician felt they went with their practice and how they can improve. There's also a weekly section that lays out the focus areas for the week in the key sections of technique, repertoire, etc.

Anyway, I would love to know whether if I went ahead and got this hardcover journal funded and made (will probably have to be crowdfunded, so it will cost a bit) whether anyone would actually buy one? Thanks everyone!

2. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

If you become the next celebrity guitar God in a few years it will prob sell.
    Else..im not to sure ;)

3. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

I practice everyday for several hours. It's been like this for me for over 40 years. I do mentally set both long and short terms goals and sometimes make notes. IMO your idea sounds like to much time and effort logging detail and taking away from playing. At times I have kept an informal notebook but it was just the date and some notes I didn't want to forget. I would not use such a product and if I did have a need to keep more detail it could be done using any off the shelf binder.
    Maybe for some who are less disciplined/organized it might come in handy. However generally speaking those people would be less inclined to maintain a daily journal over a long period of time. Just my opinion..

Warlag and ned7flat5 like this.
  4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I do well jotting down about three things.

ned7flat5 likes this.
  5. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

IMO if someone was going to keep a "practice journal" they would most likely just use a notebook. Even if they wanted something more formal they could custom make their own on a computer.

Don't make a hardcover. It doesn't lay flat on a table. Very frustrating.....

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

It should be music stand friendly. I’ve seen practice journals for sale, but never investigated. In my ~30 years playing, this isn’t something I’ve felt a need for.

7. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

It's already out there many times over in Pdf form. I don't see the need for a physical copy when you can just print the sheets out

8. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I'd think an app would be so much better.
    -Build in a metronome
    -Build in a recorder
    -Build in a timer
    -Allow for photos to be saved (for handwritten notes/diagrams)
    -Display regular progress metrics (e.g. how much time are you spending towards your goals).
    -Encouraging/Enlightening notifications....(e.g.: "it's been 3 weeks since you worked on songwriting")

Cheers

K

ned7flat5 likes this.
  9. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Yep. It would need to be an app.

I’m pretty much glued throughout the day to my tablet which accompanies me to gigs, rehearsals etc. I’m using a set list app through which I also access stored digital copies of many of the books currently gathering dust on the shelf. It also has an annotation feature whereby I can make my own notes on the chart/page itself. Plus it has a “recent” feature so I can pick up where I left off.

The only feature it lacks is a pitch change / slow downer function for the interactive MP3 player.

But I can see how the app’s functionality might be extended to include a formalised practice regimen as well for the uber-organised out there.

But as for a hard bound “ledger” in 2018?..... I’ll pass. I did enough writin’ stuff down in my last job...