• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guitar preamp pedal straight to PA problem

Gonkboy

I own an AMT C2 pedal that i love. Tonight i was practicing with my band at a practice room and tried to go through the PA instead of using an amp. The AMT pedal has a cab sim out so it should work fine. Unfortunately it didn't work, but the weird thing was that when the cable was half way in (ie not fully plugged in but half inserted) it started working.
Does anyone know what i was doing wrong?
Thanks.

jbltwin1

Sounds like the input that you used was a tip ring sleave input. very common on some things. You just need to find an input that is tip sleave only.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the answer. I didn't know what trs was so i'm learning a lot today.
You should be able to buy a simple adapter that will convert the T/S signal from your cable to the TRS format of your mixer inputs.

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
I own an AMT C2 pedal that i love. Tonight i was practicing with my band at a practice room and tried to go through the PA instead of using an amp. The AMT pedal has a cab sim out so it should work fine. Unfortunately it didn't work, but the weird thing was that when the cable was half way in (ie not fully plugged in but half inserted) it started working.
Does anyone know what i was doing wrong?
Thanks.
It was half way in, where? On the pedal or on the board/snake?

If you're going directly into a board with that output, you will most likely need a direct box. If the output is TS, you'll need a direct box to change the impedance, and sent it out as a balanced signal. If the output is balanced (TRS) a simple TRS (1/4") to XLR Male cable should be all you need.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
It depends on where you were trying to plug it into the console (mixer). Try a 1/4" line in. It sounds like you may have been trying an "insert" jack which is made to be both send and receive (this is a typical reason for putting a TRS jack into a channel insert position). Another option is to just plug it in halfway, how did it sound when you did that? This is fine for testing purposes, but if you plan to use it all the time should find something more stable like a direct box, or use a line in if the mixer has one, or wire up an adapter yourself where the tip of the C2 output (tip/sleeve) goes the the ring of a new jack (TRS male) and put that into the same plug (assuming it sounded all right).

nsureit

Old Guy...but not too old
Gold Supporting Member
DI box should take out any guesswork. Best tool in your gig-bag.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom