Guitar price rant

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pedalbored, Aug 14, 2008.

1. pedalbored

pedalbored Member

Just got my Guitar Center flyer with all the new gear. After looking at the guitars, I wondered if I could afford to be a guitar player anymore. For Example:
    Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional-$2299
    Gibson Les Paul Standard-$2599
    Gibson Robot Guitars Les Paul-$2799
    Gibson Robot Guitar SG-$2299
    Gibson Exploror or V-$8499
    Gibson ES359-$2999
    Gibson Les Paul Murphy Aged Gold Top-$5499
    PRS McCarty Vintage-$2214
    PRS McCarty Vintage Cherry-$2519
    Martin D28M Elvis LTD-$9199
    Gibson Hummingbird-$2579
    American Strats and teles-$1100+
    These are Guitar Center's prices. I'm playing out about 4 times a month, making roughly $400 a month, before expenses. Right now I'm playing a '91 Les Paul Studio I paid $599 new in 1991. I can't see ever getting a new Gibson anytime soon. How is everyone able to afford this stuff?

2. captainchair

captainchair Member

I hear ya, I can't afford anything from Fender or Gibson anymore. I pretty much have to look at the MIJ stuff or other brands with some similar designs. Our economy gets worse and their prices go up..

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    DEFINITELY not from gig money. If you're averaging $100 per gig you're doing well.

BTW, what the hell is a "robot guitar"?

4. captainchair

captainchair Member

Gibson's self tuning versions.

5. buchla300

buchla300 Member

I think there are GREAT guitars for most budgets these days.
    When I started, I got the most affordable guitar I could find. A bolt neck LP copy from Maya. I played that for a few years. It was ok actually, but it wasn't peanuts. It was probably the equivalent of 3 weeks wages at the time. That would make a Fender Baja pretty cheap and I seriously wish I could have had a guitar of that quality when I started out..
    Having said that, I'd find it hard to buy a Gibson new. I don't mind spending larger sums on GREAT instruments if I can afford to, but a series Gibson is not that great usually and they are over priced to a certain degree, but I'd say that at the lower end of the market, things are rosy for guitarists. Lot's of high quality guitars for not that much money. If you need Gibson on the headstock then yes, you have to pay the price.

6. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

The prices are high. If you want a Gibson I would recommend looking at the faded finish Lps, SG' V's and explorers. They are good instruments and much more affordable.

7. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I could afford those prices BUT I refuse to pay those prices and never will. If I paid that much for a guitar it will be something unusual, different, rare. But I still would not pay that much.

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I remember my first Les Paul. It was used, but it was $400. I traded it on a bitchin' Goldtop with wrap tail-piece - selling for the astronomical price of $600...(sigh)....
    Of course that was what - 1980?

Peace,

jb

9. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I know it doesn't seem like it, but guitars are actually cheaper these days than they ever used to be. The biggest differences are that there are so many more choices available now and that people expect to own more than one guitar now. How many guitarists have just one guitar? That used to be the norm.

Allowing for inflation etc a Strat in the 50s cost as much as a CS Strat does now. There were no Mexican Strats then!

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

11. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

who buys new guitars these days anyway? isn't that what craigslist and ebay's all about? :roll

but look at the original prices of Fender Strats and Amps (and Les Pauls) back when they were first released in the '50s and '60s. they were as much, if not more, than they are today when you adjust for inflation.

I can't find the website at the moment, but there's one out there that's got great cost/price comparisons between then and today. but the result is apparent: today's guitars are actually cheaper.

anyway...."back in the day" the top of the line axes were also out of the reach of most folks--just as they are now. but so are top of the line cars, houses, kitchens, microphones, wood flooring, etc. look at how many of our "idols" started out with Kay, Harmony, etc,. import guitars their moms got for them at Sears or Monkey Wards.

FWIW.....the money i make gigging and with my studio is where my "music money" comes from. which reminds me.....i need to get more bands in the studio. :phones

cheers,
    wade

12. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

Some guesses:

- Some can afford these prices because they are older, and have "moved up" the experience ladder, and so make a bit more than someone just starting in the workplace.

- Some were more focused when they were younger, and achieved degrees, or advanced degrees, and now are in professions that earn substantially more money.

- Some have two-income households with more "discretionary" income.

- Some buy only used equipment, and don't lose much when they sell, or possibly make a little if they found a bargain.

- Some may eat PB & J and/or forsake social activities so they have more equipment cash.

- Some may drive a beater with no car payment and use the car payment cash for equipment.

I'm sure there are other ways.

I feel your pain! The world keeps changing, and life sometimes doesn't seem fair.

13. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

I only buy used

14. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Quit buying new.

It's just like the car market. Do you buy a brand new, 2008 vehicle, or buy a 2005 with 20,000 miles for a 1/3 the cost?

15. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I have a novel approach to playing guitar: buy 1 or 2 and play them. Spending $2000 once or twice in my lifetime aint gonna make me go broke.

16. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Get a better job, or learn to save more effectively. Ramen noodles are a quarter a pack!

Look for used guitars, just because its MIM doesnt mean its inferior necessarily.

Ive noticed many people with extensive collections here get excited over some squiers.

I used to have a bunch of mid level guitars that were ok, but not my favorite, and most ended up sitting in cases most of the time. i cleaned house, used that money along with some saved money and bought 2 nice guitars, an american Jag, and a Firebird V.

17. shally

shally Member

who really cares ? (about gibson or fender, not about you..i care about all working musicians) there is so much quality out there now why worry about the name on the headstock

18. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

When buying a new Gibson, you also need to factor in the $400.00-$500.00 more that it wil take to get it playing right

19. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

"who buys new guitars these days anyway? isn't that what craigslist and ebay's all about? :roll"
    :agree

I find the hunt/research of finding a jem to be almost as much fun as owning and playing a guitar at this point!
    I'm amazed that more people are not trying to use the MS Live.com cashback deal with ebay... I know you have to setup the account (easy) and I know you have to use BIN and paypal and I know they hold the funds for 60 days, but c'mon. 25% off when all is said and done???
    You could find a $1K guitar on ebay and end up paying $750.
    I'm not ranting at all... I'm happy :)

20. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

Don't feel bad... Here are a list of my guitars...

Agile Les Paul AL 2000 - Used, Ebay, with SKB Hardshell Case Shipped for $209.00
    LTD MH250NT - $550.00 Bought this New after selling Bach Stradivarious Trumpet for $800.00
    Squire Standard Strat - Used, Ebay, $100.00 shipped with Gig bag.
    Aria Elecord Acoustic electric - New $150 - Hate it. Has actually gotten worse with age.

Digitech GNX3000 - $400 - Bought this after selling GNX2 that I bought for $200 used and sold for 275 on ebay. Difference was paid out of pocket.

Fender Princeton Chorus Amp - Used $200.00. Put in lawaway at local ma and pop store.

All my guitars are great players except for my acoustic. And they all have been had at great prices, and the means to which I payed for them was not breaking the wallet by any means.