Guitar price rant

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pedalbored, Aug 14, 2008.

1. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

yup, buy preowned

or

find a store which will give you a better deal on new

2. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I just bought a new Les Paul BFG-on credit, but every time I pick up the guitar, I don't regret it. I would not, and cannot, at the moment, spend thousands on a guitar, so the BFG was a bargain at $799. Anything with the name Les Paul on it for under a grand is bargain to me. I originally wanted one of those highly flamed LP Studio Plus (I think) models, but even they were like $1500 or more. Sorry. Next time I want a sunburst LP, I'm going to buy a Tokai, a Burny, or an Orville.

I would love to know how much money Les Paul has earned over the years in royalties from Gibson. He gets a royalty on every Lester sold I would think. Can you imagine that?

3. XKnight

XKnight Member

I was at a guitar shop yesterday and they had a sale on new LP Studios for $999. If you add inflation to your original 1991 price, that's not too far off. When you factor in all the great imports available today, I think the overall quality of guitars has increased for the price paid.

4. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

FYI there are two very sweet Corona-built Stratocasters, used, one for $500 and one for $700, at the Sam Ash in Margate FL. They are both very very nice.

Deals are out there if you don't mind being patient and looking around.

Yes. :D

5. Hooper

Hooper Member

So you work 4 nights per month and think you should be able to afford expensive guitars? Maybe you could consider a job where you go to work every day. Then you will have more money in your pocket.

6. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I have a job.

7. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

And thus, this is the reason why I refuse to buy a Gibson, even if an SG appeals to me, I won't buy one. I have a hard time justifying to myself paying anything more than $500 for a guitar, much less OVER 2 grand. I can't imagine why anyone would pay 8 grand for a guitar. How could it possibly be worth that much? You can get yourself a decent used car for that much. This is why I love MIJ fenders.

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have had several of the "icon" guitars of the 50s and 60s but a guitar would have to be pretty damn good for me to plunk down much over a grand anymore and I wouldn't do it for any of those guitars.

9. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

:D that's not an exageration

10. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I'm completely different. I've been playing guitar for around 12 years (I'm 24) and it is a huge part of my life. Music is a huge part of my life. If a $2000 guitar appealed to me and I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. It is something I would hope to have the rest of my life and would definitely outlive me. Some people spend 1 to 2 thousand dollars on a tv which will be obsolete in few years.

11. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

It's absolutely true that pro quality guitars have never been cheaper, if you adjust for inflation.

My Dad was a pro guitarist from the 40s through the 70s, after which he was retired and only gigged occasionally. He typically only had one guitar at a time. When he was ready to move on to something new, the old one usually was traded in. There's no way he could have afforded the big guitar collections some of us have.
    When I was playing full time in the 70s and 80s, I typically had 2 electrics. Now that I gig only a few times a month, I have over 20. Guitars aren't cheap, but they're no where near the big investment they were in the 50s and 60s. Plus, back then most cheap guitars were junk. Nowdays, if I had to, I'm sure I could easily gig with a $300 (or less) guitar.

12. MartinC

MartinC Member

Count yerself lucky. I look at the prices in the US and think … geez I wish things were that cheap here (Australia).

Example, an American Standard Strat goes for about AUS$2,000, which is about US$1,700 right now … compared to US$1,100 in GC.

Wish I had a trip to the US coming up!

13. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I bought these on my paper route

[​IMG]

14. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kurtsstuff [​IMG]
    When buying a new Gibson, you also need to factor in the $400.00-$500.00 more that it wil take to get it playing right

Tommy Tourbus
    :D that's not an exageration

Funny how I haven't run into that with all the Gibsons I have and have had.
    You guys must be buying the wrong ones.

15. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

If you had a Tele you might say, "Do I really need these other guitars?"

16. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Looking at the prices of new Gibson acoustics makes those from the mid -50s to early 60's look like downright bargains.

A new Woody Guthrie Commemorative SJ goes for about $3,000.
    An original '55 - '59 can still be found for $4,500 (give or take a few hundred).

Sure would be sweet if that was the price difference between a Custom Shop Strat and a '56 Strat or a Historic Collection Les Paul and a '56 Lester.

17. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Not a shot against Gibson, but my 335 was piece of crap right out of the box. Totally unplayable, obviously never set up. It was just tossed together. Nut was cut wrong, bridge was set wrong, trussrod was hardly tightened at all, intonation was way off, tuners were loose etc etc etc. Fortunately, the workmanship on the actual wood bits, and the fretwork, were top notch.

I would never....and I mean never....spend that kind of money on a Gibson again. Hey, don't get me wrong...I LOVE my 335 (now, anyhow), but if I wanted a basket case, I could have bought a basket case for a LOT less money. Fool me twice, shame on me. For $2500 - $3000, I expect it to be playable right out of the box.

I think their final quality control has gone down the tubes over the last 5 years. Nothing that can't be easily fixed after delivery as the workmanship is still top notch, but the factory setups are done by a blind, deaf, monkey with two broken hands.

On the other hand, every Epiphone and Ibanez that I pick up all seem to play perfectly and sound great. Epiphone and Ibanez must just be lucky. :D

18. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

in fact all of these points describes me to a tee.
    I work hard (and every day, frequently 50-60 hours a week)
    I've been collecting guitars for almost 20 years
    I make do without
    I've never bought a car...hell I could use new socks
    last night, I ate kraft dinner....

but I have guitars..

I guess it's a question of being fortunate enough to give yourself the option and then choosing your priorities.

but 8K for a Flying V? I wonder where people get thier money some times, but I am sure people wonder that about me as well. it's all relative.

honestly, I don't know how one could live on $400 a month.

19. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing.

20. kherman

kherman Member

I suppose if your looking at a Customshop V or Explorer.

But, usually a production Explorer or Explorer Pro can be had for right around $900 if you look around.
    Especially ma and pa places that are willing to deal.

Got my GOTW Explorer Pro for $899 from a local store.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great guitar.