Guitar purchase etiquette at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lumpy Trousers, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Lumpy Trousers

Lumpy Trousers Member

I have a habit of going into Guitar Center, heading to the used section, and running the racks. If I find something I can't live without, more often than not I'll buy it.

Here's my question. I know the GC salespeople work on commission. If one or more of them talks to me when I'm checking out used gear, should I make sure they ring me up when/if I buy something? Sometimes I look for them and don't see them or they're busy, so I just go to the counter and pay whoever is working the register.

Last weekend I spent a few hours at a local GC - one guy pulled a guitar down for me, checked in a few times. I did buy a guitar, but he wasn't around when I went to check out. I did see him as I was leaving - he said something that could be interpreted as sarcastic.

2. thedesertsand

thedesertsand Member

What did he say?

3. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

you find the guy who put the guitar in your hand, its only fair. If he's not there... then the register guy is fine

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If I can't find the guy that was helping me, I'll mention it to the guy checking me out. Usually they'll give the original guy credit for the sale.

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Yeah, I think so, if at all possible.

6. thedesertsand

thedesertsand Member

What if one guy asks if you need help, and tell him you are just looking. And then you find a guitar you like, the first guy isn't around, and a different guy gets it down for you to try it.

What then?

7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

My thinking would be: I'm just looking until/unless I see something I want to try. The person who helps me at that point should get the sale.

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

This may sound harsh, but I do not give 2 schitz who gets credit. Just ring up my purchases and get me out the door in under 10 minutes. I've never spoken to a single GC employee who offered any knowledgable sales consultation, and typically they only offer hilarious misinformation. It's not my job to sort out their internal issues.

9. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    If they've got their act together and give a crap they'll briefly introduce themselves, give their name, get yours when they hand you the guitar and say something like "My name is ______, come find me or ask for me if you don't see me if you decide you want it or want to try anything else." Its called rapport building...if they don't have it, they're going to fail in a sales job. GC clearly doesn't teach that from what I've seen. They're guys seem more inclined to either have no personality or as mentioned, just spout off a bunch of misinformation at you while you're looking.

10. McShred

You sound like a real swell human being, sympathetic to the plight of a guy working a crummy retail job for a corporation that treats him as expendable.

11. thedesertsand

thedesertsand Member

I dont think they really give a damn, they just want your money. Nothing more. But its an awful job and whoever helps I will try to find when I am ready to pay.

12. buddaman71

First of all, I am a sales professional with over 20 years experience in MI retail and commercial AV and I earn my living as a design engineer and commissioned consultant. I'm successful because I've worked hard and continually educated myself.

I've shopped at many GCs and the structure of the company is the flaw. More often than not, I've called ahead to simplify and speed up transactions and showed up 15 minutes later and the guy I spoke with wasn't even in the building. It has nothing to do with my quality as a human being.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  13. McShred

You've said that twice now. We get it. You're not very nice.

14. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

My local GC in Lakeland knows when I walk in the door that I deal strictly with one guy. He has consistently given me great service and great deals, so I wait for him if need be. When I do travel to other stores like Tampa, Orlando, Sarasota, I realize they work off commission and I do my best to make sure the person who helped me gets the commission they deserve. It's a small thing, but it has gotten me good deals. The sales staff knows I will spend good money and make sure they are taken care of. A good relationship with them has paid off many times for me. I have a few things that I really couldn't have afforded elsewhere. Good vibes with folks never hurts.

15. cardamonfrost

cardamonfrost Member

I try to mention the guy, but the guy who is checking it out will put it under his name anyways.... Dog eat dog in those places.
    C

16. Rich_S

Rich_S Member

Well, now I REALLY want to make an album, and call it "Hillarious Misinformation".

17. buddaman71

Dude, that was just a double post from my iphone. i already realized that and deleted. You don't know anything about me. I would love to have deep, loving, caring long-term relationships with the guys at any GC, but the service level and attrition rates and complete lack of sales training makes that very difficult.

18. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

Local store doesn't give any better service. Salespeople tell me I'm not a good customer because when I come in I only buy strings, picks.

19. Lumpy Trousers

Lumpy Trousers Member

FWIW the guitar I bought wasn't the one he pulled down - it was another one down on the floor.

It's a bit of a dilemma - I don't want to waste anyone's time while I'm checking out a bunch of guitars, but I do want the commission going to right place.

I'll remember to mention it at the cash register the next time if I can't find the original person I spoke to.

20. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

The GC staff I've dealt with in the last six years or so have been so uniformly worthless I don't care who gets "credit" for my sale. I figure they all get an equal number of mis-credits so it all averages out. They lack subject matter knowledge and they're mediocre sales staff.