Guitar purchase etiquette at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lumpy Trousers, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Knavery

Knavery Member

That's just it! You hit the nail on the head. GC deals in a LOT of different brands. The sales people are not going to be experts in all of them. More often than not, I haven't been able to find in expert in a certain area. Even if they say they do, it ends up being someone that blows smoke up my ass, because they end up being flat out wrong.

Do your own research before going into GC. You have to know what you want walking in there. It's not a niche guitar shop that specializes in one or two brands.

2. blackmore11

blackmore11 Member

The GC I go to is about 1 1/2 hours away in Naperville. And I have nothing but excellent things to say about the staff. Very friendly, knowledgeable, helpful people. Never pushy, but always around to answer any questions.

3. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Some of the posts here make it sound like a buyer is "morally responsible" for seeing to it that the proper GC salesman gets a commission for a sale...

If that's the case, then the "truly moral purchaser" should also willingly pay "full-pop retail" for that item to insure that that salesman gets everything that he is morally entitled to...

C'mon now - I mean, really???

:)

4. tele1951

tele1951 Supporting Member

I guess the local GC here is the exception. Staff always seem knowledgable, work with me on pricing, friendly,no attitudes. The guitar tech is great but very busy, knowledgable and friendly. I have no problems with this GC.

I think the "experts" on TGP like to "pile on" GC. I don't understand all the slagging going on.

I'm not surprised our Country has a big problem with bullying.

5. HendrixVibrato

HendrixVibrato Have some experience... Silver Supporting Member

Well said.

I don't buy at GC, but I will say this - having worked on commission, and today being a business owner, I can tell you that it makes a BIG difference in people's lives when you take just a little time to "pay it forward."

Help a young cat out by being friendly to him, help to inspire him a bit, joke with him (or her) a bit about how lousy the pay/commission is, but by all means, leave something with them - your compassion & experience. Let them know that you KNOW their plight, and maybe share a few words of encouragement on how to make the best of their situation. Maybe make it a point to try to look them up next time you go in to actually buy something.

When you help to develop young people, even if they seem to not care about *anything* at first, you help more than just them - you also help - just maybe - the next guy *they* run into once they grow up a bit. Trust me, most will never forget a kindness, or lesson nicely shared.

What's it hurt to try?

Worst case? Gee, maybe you don't get to be a complete miserable @sshole for the *entire* day. And wow, what a loss that would be, huh?

Anyone thinking these young kids should be **** on by lousy attitude needs a re-think in basic people development.

6. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Who says all of those GC sales people are kids??? The only "kid" in the GC store I frequent is the one that checks your receipt and bag as you leave... The rest are FULL GROWN MEN - Some over 60 years old...

And who's "shitting on them with a lousy attitude???"

Man, that's one big broad brush you're painting people with there...

What we're talking about here is "buyer etiquette at GC..."
    Or specifically: "Should a GC customer be responsible for insuring that the correct sales person gets the commission from a purchased item at GC???"

It's got absolutely NOTHING AT ALL to do with being "a completely miserable asshole all day..."

Not every topic here has to morph into a lesson in morality...

7. Semitone

Semitone Member

The people working at GC are working stiffs just like the rest of us. I don't know how they have become representative of the poor beaten down masses.

Some do a good job, some don't. If they don't know the product, they aren't doing a good job. If they aren't presenting the product to the customer in a helpful, friendly way, they aren't doing a good job.

What is all this nonsense treating them like oppressed victims and we should all be sympathetic? Yeah...I know...to some of you everybody is a victim. A guy who can't figure out how to get his employer to pay him is a victim. I would say he is an idiot if he stays when he can actually do better somewhere else.

Yes, this is technically off topic but this thread has already drifted so much I figure nobody will notice.

8. jtm622

jtm622 Member

There ya go...

:)

9. timallums

timallums Member

The GC in my town is meh. However, the GC in Nashville ROCKS. Great, friendly, people. SUPER knowledgeable, the inventory is NOT all beat to hell like at other GCs. If I win the lotto, I'm going to Nashville and load up the wagon at the Nashville GC on the new gear, and visit George Gruhn for some vintage stuff...

10. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

Have to agree. It's not my fault or problem. If someone goes out of their way to help even if they are not the most knowledgeable, I may give it a shot at giving them credit, but it's not our responsibility.

I walked in one time, and the guy insisted on pointing me in the right direction. So, I told him I was looking for Paul Reed Smith.... he said Paul didn't work there any longer. (not kidding)

11. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

<Slow clap>

12. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Man,
    You just ought to head into Chicago to the big boy stores!

S>
    j

13. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

Here Here! If more people took this approach we could literally change how people interact with each other

14. josephvman

josephvman Member

I've bought guitars from GC, and there's one close to my place so I probably stop in every couple of weeks to poke around, buy accessories, etc. For the most part they're pretty good guys (and girls) but they work for a company that's in the business of moving lots of boxes as efficiently as possible, not providing the personalized service that you'd get at a boutique guitar shop. Frankly, most of their job seems to be babysitting kids who go there to plug in and beat on guitars and amps all day long, and that would grate on the nicest person after awhile.

My most recent guitar purchase at GC was a bit of a mess. I called on a whim and found a 60th Anniv. Jeff Tweedy SG, a sealed box, that they just got in. I went in, bought it, and the guitar was pretty nice except for a vibrola bar that was so tight that it was very hard to move and squeaked like crazy. I brought it back, hoping for a simple adjustment. Their tech rounded off the screw, and had the arm so loose it would just swing freely. I asked if they could find me another, sealed box Tweedy SG. They got another one in, and called me. This one had loads of shop wear on it, and looked worse than my '86 Telecaster that survived five moves, dogs, a dozen crazy girlfriends, and countless other nightmares. At that point I was hoping they still had my first Tweedy, which they did, and they found it. It was pretty beat up as well, so I just got a refund, and called my guy at Sweetwater. To their credit, they were always very nice and understanding, and I'm sure I'll buy from them again.

Regarding commissions, and speaking as someone who has worked on straight commission for two decades, I appreciate being helped and always try to make sure the guy who helps me gets the credit.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a salesperson saying "I work on commission, and this is how I make a living, so I would appreciate it if you'd ask for me if you decide to come back and buy this....." The other side of the coin is that if I'm not there to buy I'll make sure to let them know straight away, and that they shouldn't waste their time with me if they've got better things to do and people with cash in hand to help.

15. Expensive Wino

Expensive Wino Active Member

I walked in a GC & bought a Clapton Strat off the wall...asked if it could be restrung w/EB Regular Slinky, and was told the "repair guy" was too busy.

True story.

16. sonicD

sonicD Member

I don't care if it's GC or any other business, if I have a salesman that takes care of me, I'll make sure they get credit for it. If not, I don't worry about it.

Now here's the rub: If a customer is going to spend two hours trying out half a dozen guitars, you can't really expect the salesman to stand by you the whole time. These guys are under a certain amount of pressure to produce X number of dollars per hour, and they have no idea if you're a buyer or a wanker. Unless you're looking like a Really Big Sale (which 1 guitar isn't), no salesman can afford to spend two hours on a single customer. But if the same guy comes back to check on you, hands you several different guitars during that two hours and makes at least some effort to explain the pros and cons of each one, then he's helping you. The fact that he wasn't actually standing right next to you when you finally made the decision to buy is irrelevant.

If it was me, I'd have searched the guy out, handed him the guitar, saying "Let's do it". Then I'd ask him for a deal on a case, free strings and a good strap. The best time to grind out a deal is when they're just on the verge of closing the sale.

--

17. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

I have a couple of guys at my local GC that "get" all my business.

If they're not there, I make sure to tell the guy ringing me up that one of them "helped" me before.

They've helped me in the past, and have the benefit of being there for more than an couple of months... in one case, it's been a few years.

I've worked commission, and I know the meaning of "loyalty"... and how it can work both ways.

M