Guitar Raffle???

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Fusionshred, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

I have a guitar for sale. Everybody knows that at this point :rolleyes: I'm not mentioning the guitar because this is not the emporium.

I have an idea, though. Once, a long time ago, when the housing market was in a real rut, I heard about a family who needed to sell their house but couldn't. So they decided to raffle it off!

Here's my idea... I could sell raffle tickets, say $30.00 a piece. I'd only need 100 entries to make the money I need on the guitar. But for 30 bucks, you'd have a 1 in 100 chance of winning the guitar. If I didn't get enough responses, I'd have to refund the money, of course.

Would you guys go for something like that?

2. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Im down...I think it would be a hit.

3. Quinny

Quinny Member

4. Fusionshred

I *think* I just closed a deal on the guitar. If it falls through for any reason, I think it would be interesting to go this route. It felt like a really cool idea to me! One in 100 is pretty good odds to win a $3000 or so guitar for a $30 investment.

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Sounds like a potentially disasterous idea if you handle the raffle yourself. Say I buy a ticket and don't win the guitar. What assurance do I have that the raffle was handled in a truly impartial manner? What's to keep me from taking legal action against you if the result doesn't go my way? Now, yes, I'd have to be an a-hole to think like that, but the world is full of a-holes, so the chance that one of them would be a member of this forum and enter the raffle is pretty good :D

-Austin

6. Fusionshred

Yeah, I thought of that too! I'm sure it could be done, but maybe it'd have to be administered by an independent agent like an accounting firm or something.

7. prakashananda

prakashananda Member

I like it - depends on the guitar obviously.

8. Clrtxf

Clrtxf Member

great idea but i have to know what it is!

9. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I think it's a great idea!

Tony

10. Fusionshred

I am thinking of setting this up where I get new guitars, inspect and set them up, and raffle them off. This may give people the opportunity to basically win a new guitar with a small investment. I would have to keep the odds of winning high in order to keep the interest up and get the tickets sold. As long as I can break even on the guitar or make enough to cover time and expenses, it would be interesting to do.

A couple of things to overcome: 1) the guitar would be "new" but might have to be considered "used" for warranty purposes, unless the manufacturer has transferrable warranties. 2) it will have to be legal, 3) it will have to be managed in a reputable, professional way (I have a reputation to uphold, you know:))

These would be good guitars, though, like Suhr Pro Series, American Fenders. I have the working capital to be able to get the instruments. I will have to work on the details as far as a website, storage, shipping, cash flow...

I've bought and sold a lot of high end gear, a lot of it at a loss, but I've been able to at least build up a reputation for being honest and trustworthy and that would give me the foundation for getting this off the ground.

Imagine, for example, buying a $50.00 raffle ticket and having a 1 in 250 chance of winning a Suhr, Grosh, Tom Anderson, PRS...

Stay tuned. "Guitar Raffle" may just take off!

11. prakashananda

prakashananda Member

One thing - howdya make sure you sell enough tix to get the $ back?

12. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

13. phantasm

phantasm Member

I'd do it.

Also a good idea to take the winner out of the running for the following raffle. It would blow for all of us to chip in and have the same mug win 2 in a row.

14. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Sign me up for the tele raffle.

15. Fusionshred

phantasm, that's a good idea. maybe you can only win once in a year or something.

I would have to have a minimum number of tickets sold in order to make the raffle profitable. If I didn't get the sales, I'd have to refund the money, or credit the ticket to another raffle, at the purchaser's option.

Let's say the raffle is for a tele and there wasn't enough participation. If the next raffle is for a strat, you would have the option of getting a refund on your ticket purchase (if you weren't interested in the strat) or you could have your ticket applied to the strat raffle.

I'm still working out the details. But it sounds like something I could set up and that there is at least some preliminary interest. This could get exciting!

16. Fusionshred

Gee, I just thought of something too - you could enter a raffle for 50 bucks, win the guitar, and then sell it. If you lose, you're out 50 bucks, but the odds of winning would be one in 200 or something - not bad!