Guitar Recommendation For Electric Player

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by turbolx5oh, Mar 14, 2016.

1. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

Been playing over 10 years and I've never owned an acoustic but am looking to pick one up. I've played 15 or so in the last couple of weeks but nothing really jumps out at me. I seem to like the higher end Breedlove's playability and the sound of the higher end Martins. I'm looking for a Spruce top with Rosewood sides/bottom. Mahogany is just a bit too dark for me. The Martin Artist series was more my style but one made from solid wood (not HPL) get pricey quick. I haven't been able to find a Yamaha AC3R to play but I've heard they are pretty nice.

Price range is under $1500. Got any recommendations?

2. andrekp

andrekp Member

Well I have an A3R and it's a great guitar. Sound excellent amplified. Neck is rather electric-like. It's narrow and edges roll over. Build is tough and excellent. Top is perfectly quartersawn and the only runout I see is more attributable to the striping of the top, rather than having one whole half versus the other whole half. Mine was set up just about perfectly by the factory (I only lowered the saddle a little further by a tiny smidge because I like that, but stock it was to how most people set them up anyway). Can sound a bit tight until you play it a while and get the thing to realize it's a guitar and open up. Beautiful hard case.

They do a great job with the A3 series and I can't imagine that the A3CR is any different.

3. jds22

jds22 Member

Have you checked out any Eastmans?
    You could also get a Taylor 300 series for that price. Back and sides are sapele which is similar to mahogany. Even though it's not rosewood I doubt you'll find anybody calling a Taylor dark sounding.
    The Yamaha LL16 or LS16 rosewood are great guitars.

Not sure if I can plug a dealer or not but lately I've been talking to Ted at LA Guitar Sales. They carry Taylor, Eastman, and Martin. He'll give you great advice and great prices too, well under what they advertise on their site.

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  4. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Breedlove Oregon Series (both dread and Concerts) are nice and right in that price range (mrtylewood), Taylor 300 series (saple) are good choices too.

I am not sure I would call the tone of Mahogany dark.

If used is an option I bet you could find a Taylor with rosewood back and sides in that price range.

5. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Eastman or Blueridge are my favorites. I own two from Blueridge and both are amazing guitars for the money. Look for a Blueridge BR 163 or 183 if you like OM or 000 size Martins.

6. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Taylor guitars offer a great transition between electric and acoustic. They're extremely playable guitars, and they have a wide variety of body sizes.

I'd lean toward a smaller, shallower body for your first acoustic. D-styles and Jumbos can be awkward and uncomfortable to play for long periods, whether sitting or standing. Something like a Taylor Grand Auditorium will be much more cozy to play.

7. Luva

Luva Member

I recommend a 12-fret acoustic with a cutaway for upper fret access. The 12-fret models typically have a slightly smaller scale length (24-7/8" versus 25-1/2") which gives the strings a more slinky, electric guitar feel. I was pleasantly surprised at the enhanced "playability" compared to the traditional acoustic guitar feel.

A great example would be a Taylor 322ce 12-fret with the new ES2 pickup system. The only issue is that the new 2016 300 series guitars are quite a bit more in price than earlier versions. The 300 series used to fall into the great bang-for-the-buck category.

8. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I recently got a TAylor GC3 with a shorter scale, no cutaway, but the strings do have a looser feel, these can be had well under 800 bucks now.

9. djd100

djd100 Member

A great low cost option is Ibanez AEG 10II, which is only 3" deep, has a cut-away and built in UST/Preamp. It sounds great plugged in though it's acoustic sound is lacking vs the higher priced options due to the fact that it's body is laminated. Being laminated however makes it more feedback resistant when plugged in vs solid wood guitars, so you gain something and lose something etc.

Mine plays great with nicely dressed frets, a beautiful neck, and great action after I lowered it 1/32" (that's with 11's).

10. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

11. royd

royd Member

a used Taylor 300 series... and do check out the Eatman, Blueridge, Recording King, Epiphone Masterbuilt lines. There are some very nice guitars available under $1500. I also like the Martin 15 series a lot.

I agree with EricPetersen that I would not describe mahogany as being dark. Typically it is described as being mid range centered, forward sounding, and bright... There are three possibilities. 1. you're describing it in a "non-standard way" and are using different words for what you're hearing than most acoustic players would. 2. You played some poorly built guitars - a heavily built, dead sounding guitar might be described as dark, but that would have little to do with the materials and everything to do with the construction. 3. the strings were old. If you're trying guitars at a big box music store like Guitar Center, the strings are likely terrible on 90% of the instruments. That will take away any brightness the guitar has.

If you get to the point that you're relatively serious about a specific guitar and the strings are old, ask the dealer to put on a new set of strings in the gauge/composition you prefer so you can hear/feel it with new strings.

EricPeterson likes this.
  12. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

Yeah Blueridge are awesome guitars

13. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

If anything, Rosewood will give you more low end overtones. As others have cited, mahogany is a more MOR tonewood. If you want brighter sounding, you may want to check out maple. That said, $1500 is a good budget for a wide range of quality acoustic choices, though I would lean more towards solid woods, or at least, solid tops, wherever possible. You might want to check out Guild, Larrivee, Epiphone Masterbuilt, Eastman, Takamine, Yamaha, Alvarez, Greg Bennett, Breedlove, Seagull, among others. If you like bright tone and are used to electric necks, you might also want to check out Ovations and Rainsongs.