Guitar repair job

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by oacikgoz, Mar 13, 2008.

1. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Hi everybody,

I own a US Fender Strat with Floyd Rose bridge HSS. I never got my guitar repaired since I got it in 1996 and a few months ago I realized that it has a serious intonation problem. I took it to the guitar technician. He told me he can get rid of the problem for 35 dollars and told me that the action is too much for a floyd rose guitar. (He also told me he's never seen a strat with floyd rose.)

A few days later I got the guitar back but he told me that the guitar has more serious problems than he anticipated and that the guitar needs shimming (whatever that is, I'm a complete noob when it comes to techs.) and serious adjustment. I guess he told me that the neck should be removed and installed again to remove some sort of tension due to truss rod. He told me he did all he can to fix intonation. Yes, the intonation is fixed but the floyd rose saddles are ALL the way to the back now and I can't do fine tuning at all and there is string buzz on higher notes.

He told me that for an extra 80 dollars he could get rid of all problems... I worked with that technician for the first time and he charges lower fees and I told him I'd think about his offer. Do you think what he is suggesting might be dangerous for the guitar? I don't want someone to ruin it completely. Is this price fair?

Also Could someone tell me what he could have meant?

Thank you very much

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

This is starting to sound a little iffy to me. It sounds like he don't want to put in the effort to setup a Floyd rose. And he's never seen a Strat with Floyd Rose? It takes longer to setup a guitar with locking trem but you have to do what you have to do. As far the $80 I don't Know what that's for, could be filing frets maybe. I suggest talk to him and ask for an estimate and details on the work to be done. If he sounds like he don't know, walk and find another tech.

3. rooster

rooster Member

Wow. OK, first thing: is the Floyd level with the body? If it is/isn't, are you the kind of player that likes to be able to pull up on the bar as well? If the Floyd is leaning forward, that is, the back is higher than the front of the bridge, then the claw in the back/underside of the guitar needs to be tightened. At that point, assuming the Floyd was tilted forward, you will find that there is more play on the saddles for intonation adjustment. Regardless, you should be able to adjust the tuning anyway.

This sounds, to me, like a guy that may be an OK tech on stuff he knows about, but perhaps he hasn't worked on a whole lot of gear, and maybe doesn't have one of those minds that just decodes the mechanical linkages in the guitar itself.

FWIW, if you were in Phoenix, I'd tell you to bring it to me, and we could sit down together, I could go through the whole thing and show you exactly what I'm doing and why. For $80, with no replacement parts, you should get a setup worthy of a Stadium band. However, there are a lot of good folks on this board, many who can work on darn near anything (from their postings), and many of them could probably use some extra $$$, or know of a good tech in your town. Post your location, and see who comes to help. If what you posted is what your tech told you verbatim, then it seems that you could use someone with a bit more knowledge/experience.

Good luck.

rooster.

4. Quarter

Quarter Member

That would be my take on it too.
    A Floyd can be a little fussy to set up so you probably want someone who has Floyd experience.

5. David Collins

David Collins Member

There may be a bit of a communication glitch between what the tech's analysis and this post, so I'll give benefit of the doubt and won't try to guess exactly what the diagnosis and prognosis are. I will say there are two red flags that pop up rather quickly though.

First, if he said he'd never seen a Strat with a Floyd before I have to wonder how much experience he has.

Second, I can't think of a worthwhile repair tech I know of that would touch a Floyd Rose setup for $35. Not trying to say that if someone charges more that automatically means they do great work, but I'm just sayin I can't think of many good techs who would quote such a low setup price if they know Floyds.

Do you know this is a good tech you're trusting, or did you just bring it in to a music store?

6. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

I saw the ad somewhere and just took my guitar there and I have no idea about his experience... maybe he sucks and maybe not. The store is opened just recently so that might explain the low prices.

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

+1. Find someone who knows what they are looking at and how to set it up correctly.

8. NoahL

NoahL Member

It's weird to me that he didn't call you right away to tell you what it needed, instead of doing a half-ass job that you're not happy with now. A tech should be smart enough to know what's necessary, and courageous enough to tell a customer what that is and what it will cost. That's the best for everyone. This guy half-assed it. Find a better tech. If you've gone this long without spending any dough on this guitar, you're due for a little upkeep, and don't get hung up on the price. If you've been playing a badly intonated guitar all these years, you've been wasting your time.

9. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Ok I got the guitar to a guitar tech who seems to have vast knowledge about them. He's been in the business since 72 and I trusted his judgement. He took a look at my guitar and he told me that whoever worked on the guitar screwed it all. He told me there is no damage but it needs a lot of adjustments. He told me that the neck is bowed like crazy and that he needs to adjust the neck along with the bridge saddles. He told me nothing fancy is required to fix it. Shimming is out of the question he said. I will pick up the guitar on Wednesday. I hope I'll have positive news for you about the guitar.