Guitar Repair Recommendation In NYC

rubis

Silver Supporting Member
Who would you guys recommend for guitar repairs, and things like set-ups in New York City? And what kind of prices do they charge? I don't drive, so it must be somewhere I can get to without it, like in Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens

I asked the same thing on rig-talk and some recommendations I got that looked good were 30th Street guitars and Imai. I was also thinking about Umanov or Rudy's but no one mentioned them yet

rambleon

I usually go to Evan Gluck, who's really good at what he does and very reasonably priced. What are you looking to get done? Prices depend on the work you're looking for.
http://newyorkguitarrepair.com/
I recently needed some fretwork done on one of my guitars and contacted Evan. Unfortunately due to temporary health issues he was unable to take it on and recommended 30th St Guitars. I think Evan might charge less than 30th St. but don;t hold me to that. I'd get in touch with him directly.

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member
Richie's Guitars in the East Village. 24 hour turnaround and usually around half the price of everyone else. Google him.

New clients only by referral. Let me know if you need the introduction.

The bear

TR Crandall at his store on the lower eastside(he used to work for Umanov).
Norio Imai in Chelsea. Best fretwork ever. Not Cheap.
Rob Di Stefano in Park Ridge, NJ. Super cheap, does really good work. A little out of the way, but possible to reach by bus or train.
Matt at 30th street guitars.
Rudy's.

Down and Out in NYC

Gold Supporting Member
I've heard good things about Mas Hino but haven't used him since he worked out of 48th street custom like 2 decades ago. He did some killer work for me then. I think he's located in park slope now.

I've heard good things about Mas Hino but haven't used him since he worked out of 48th street custom like 2 decades ago. He did some killer work for me then. I think he's located in park slope now.

I had a bad experience with Mas a few years ago. I can't recommend him. I also can't recommend Rudy's.
Tom Crandall has done some incredible work on my Taylor. He's not the guy for electronics, but if you need a setup, fretwork, or restoration, he's the man. Not cheap, but not super expensive either.
Matt at 30th is good and will take on your (read: my) crazy electronic project. Nice guy too.

Down and Out in NYC

Gold Supporting Member
I had a bad experience with Mas a few years ago. I can't recommend him. I also can't recommend Rudy's.
Tom Crandall has done some incredible work on my Taylor. He's not the guy for electronics, but if you need a setup, fretwork, or restoration, he's the man. Not cheap, but not super expensive either.
Matt at 30th is good and will take on your (read: my) crazy electronic project. Nice guy too.

I'm sorry to hear that about Mas. I guess things and times can change. I personally wouldn't recommend 30th st guitars. I brought 2 guitars in and was happy w neither. The last one being a Peavey Wolfgang that had a fret take a hit w the string causing a rather severe indentation. When I went to pick it up the string was still catching in the fret. He sanded it for like 3 seconds grabbed a set of fret pullers lifted it slightly and said good as new. Never even bothered checking to see if it was level with the surrounding frets. Needless to say I stopped going there for repair work. Don't even get me started on peekamoose avoid them like the plaque

Last edited:

rubis

Silver Supporting Member
TR Crandall looks good and would be very convenient for me to get to. What are his prices and turn around times like? I'm really just looking for set-ups and pick-up installing, but one of my guitars is gonna have a Fishman Fluence set put, so maybe 30th st would be good for that since those pickup are different than usual and you guys said he's good for electronic type stuff?

And yes I once used Peekamoose for repair for my 1958 Gretsch Country Club. They charged $1200 and it took over a year for it to finally be ready. To be fair, they did do a very nice job on it and there was a lot to be done to it but still. Definitely not using them again

flognoth

+1 for Norio Imai. His work is amazing. As others have pointed out, he isn't cheap, but in my opinion is work is worth it. I've also heard good things about Evan Gluck too.

Fenderesq

Ive known Matt at 30th Street Guitars for 30 years back when he worked at Ossining Music---he's the best and an even better guy.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
In town, I've had good experiences with 30th street, carmine st, guitartech, rudys and umanovs. Certain shops will do certain things and won't do certain things- for instance, Rick at carmine st. doesn't like working on f-hole access guitars, and umanov is super pricey, but both will do finish work while other shops farm that out.

For a straightforward setup of a bolt on guitar, the simplest of the simple, I would recommend guitartech for the quick turnaround and great price and communication. If you want to relic your guitar like sanding a neck down to get a killer feel, go to Matt at 30th street. And rudy's just did me a solid on getting a nut free from a very pricey guitar that was bound really tight, I don't think they even charged me their hourly rate.

For amp work, main drag in Williamsburg and blackie pagano in Manhattan have done quick well priced work for me that I have zero complaints about.

Merrywoodsman

I would recommend Matt at 30th Street Guitars. Solid work at reasonable prices, and a hell of a nice guy. Just a quick note; He's moved to 27th street now. Same block, just 3 blocks south.

Blanket Jackson

Everything is temporary anyway
Gold Supporting Member
Looks like you have a bunch of options. I have had work done by Ludlow Guitars, and it was good work but a bit costly. I usually give my work to Bob Jones (Park Slope, frm. Umanov's) or Retrofret (Gowanas). Both are excellent, and do great work on both vintage and modern instruments. Many seem to like 30th St. too, but I've never tried them.

funkmeister79

Gold Supporting Member
Highly recommend Rick Kelly at Carmine Street Guitars on...Carmine Street. Awesome setups and cheaper than other places.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom