Guitar Rig 2

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jzucker, Dec 29, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Anyone upgrade? Comments?

2. jzucker

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

I've been interested in this as well. Do you use an earlier version? If so does the latency affect your playing at all?

4. jzucker

I use version 1.2. There's very little latency with my delta 44 card.

5. elambo

elambo Member

The latency will depend on how fast your machine is. You may have to set the machines buffer high, in which case the latency could very well affect your playing. I was using version 1 on a dual 2 gig G5 and it was completely fine. Very little latency - certainly not so much that it changed my playing at all.

What type of machine would you be using it with?

6. jzucker

Not only that but how fast your audio interface is. If you are using a USB interface, you will get more latency than a PCI (which is the fastest) or firewire (which is the 2nd fastest) followed by USB 2 and then USB

Note: USB 2 is rated 480bps vs. 400bps for firewire but the OS handles firewire more efficiently.

7. elambo

elambo Member

That's absolutely true, jzucker.

But I've noticed that the processor speed plays the biggest role in latency because it dictates how large you have to set the hardware buffer. In fact, I've had virtually no latency at all while playing via a USB interface on a very fast machine, and horrible latency via a PCI interface on a slower machine.

I wonder if GR2 is more efficient than GR1...???

8. elambo

elambo Member

I was just reminded of how good Guitar Rig can sound. Watching TV tonight, a commercial I did for the Army came on and the guitars sounded very legit. I did every guitar track, including bass, with GR version 1. Some clean stuff, some Rectifier-ish stuff, and a slightly distorted bass patch. I'd completely forgotten how much GR was on that track. After reading this thread earlier, then seeing it tonight, I was impressed with the guitar sounds. GR2 MUST be even better. I may actually upgrade myself.

(The spot starts with a sniper's view through the gun, then shots of him on a hill, etc., then a voiceover that says, "What are you setting your sights on..." If you see it, that's ALL Guitar Rig.)

9. stratofied

stratofied Member

I have a dual 1.25 GHz G4 that I use for recording but I was thinking of setting up my 2 Ghz PC laptop with Guitar Rig. How do you set up your system? Do you use Guitar Rig as a plugin or virtual instrument within your recording application?

10. jzucker

Plugin.

11. elambo

elambo Member

RTAS plugin inside ProTools when recording. If I just wanna play, I'll use it as a stand-alone.

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i'd say it's the same.
    yes there's more 'models' of amps and some new features. it's a worthwhile upgrade as some f the models are pretty good. i like the bassman and the JCM800.
    they wisely haven't changed the sound of the original models. i'm sure it would mess a lot of people up if they did.
    i'm hoping that modeling will get better.

13. jzucker

too bad there's no fusion tones in there. The higher gain sounds are still oriented towards nu-metal. There's no dumble tones for example.

The bluesy fender tones are good but still weak compared to the real thing. However, I think they are steadily improving.

14. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I have upgraded to version 2 and I must say I'm quite happy about the result. The new amps are good and the old amps sounds better as I think NI have upgraded the entire "audio engine". The Plexi for instance, both sounds AND feels much better.

The new Lead 800 amp is a fun amp to play and I think it's good for everything from rudely half distorted sound like Landau likes to more aggressive styles. Put one of the overdrive or dist modules in front of it and you can basically go where you want soundwise.

The Tweedman is in my ears the best Bassman sim so far. Not quite there but way better than to competition.
    The Jazz Amp is cool as a base for putting together 80's style sounds with loads of effects.
    My favourite new amp by far is the Ampeg SVT model. Absolutely wonderful for my needs and workd great for clean funky guitar parts.
    In fact the first tune with backing track I recorded and posted at the Sound Clip section here at the Gear Pages was recorded with GR2. If you want to look it up it's the thread called "Spare Frog". Bass and rhythm guitars used the SVT amp and the lead was the Twang with a Skreamer.

I'll probably post another tune and BT from GR2 on monday in an entirely different style.

Cheers,

Mats N