Guitar Rig 2

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by vhollund, Jul 22, 2006.

1. vhollund

vhollund Member

Ive now had a chance to play with it for some days , I find the distorted sounds great but I still havent found a nice clean tube amp sound...

For that I still use amplitube with a HK tubeman preamp

Whats your experience with guitar rig 2 , and can you get the sounds you want?

2. 2012studios

2012studios Member

Yes... Guitar Rig 2 is great and very useful and very tweakable, but it doesn't hold a candle to a real amp.

I think i've been happier with the clean tones than the distorted ones. I've never liked ampsim distortion, but the clean sounds have always seemed to be alright. I use an amp for everything these days, but Guitar Rig 2 is awesome for laying down those flashes of brilliance at 3 in the morning. I've tried to combine GR2 tones with real amp tracks, but I always end up replacing the GR2 tracks with tracks from the real amp when i do a side-by-side comparison. The real amp just sounds so much better.

Love the Psychedelay.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Wow! You're getting decent clean tones with Amplitube? I haven't been able to do that. What settings do you use?

4. elambo

elambo Member

If you're looking for a high-quality boutique amp "clean" then you're right - it's hard to get that from GR2, but I think it does clean pretty well overall.

Distortion is better than GR1, but still doesn't compare so well to the real-world counterpart.

5. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

I had good luck with GR1 when using it within the context of a mixed song. I used a high quality outboard preamp instead of the supplied pedal, and I think that helped. Looking forward to trying out GR2.

6. elambo

elambo Member

That's a good point to mention -- I used a better preamp also and it definitely did make GR sound better. Strongly recommended.

7. shigihara

shigihara Member

Hey Vagn, nice to meet you here !
    How are you doing ?
    I started to get heavily into GR2... love it.
    Finally putting together that portable laptop rig I was talking
    about for a long time. I just got the MacBook...
    Now I'm looking into which interface and mic pre to get.

later, Paul

ok... here's an update. I got a RME Fireface400 as my interface
    and did a brief test today using a pair of Genelec 8020A's as a
    monitor system. Guitar plugged straight into the RME sounded
    pretty awesome without any tweaking... very promising.

8. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Just bought GR2 a month ago. I find the clean sounds pretty decent, though noting 'magical'. The distortion sounds though is really tough to make sound right. I found maybe 1 or 2 presets that sounded decent to me, and had to tweak pretty hard from there to get something that sounded pretty good to me. I'll probably get slammed for this, but to me POD 2.0 had better sounds out of the box (or well was easier to tweak to sound good).

GR2 is really tweakable though...and that's why I bought it. I know that I can get lots of different sounds out of it, and the ability to assign controllers to the pedal is really cool. Tapedeck and metronome are nice too for practice sessions.

Oh, BTW, I wasn't expecting this, but the distorted models sound very different in Hi-res mode versus low res mode....some models actually sound better in low res!

Are most folks here using GR2 in standalone, or in a sequencer app? I mostly use standalone, but might give the sequencer idea a shot so I can use pluggins with it.

Cheers,

Kris

9. vhollund

vhollund Member

Hey Paul !
    Thank you Im good and you?
    Still out touring the world with all those great muscians?

The FF400 has 2 build in preamps so i guess you are looking for something analog sounding as additional thing for tracking?
    and I think it has a special "guitar" impedence input

heard it is as good/the same converters as the 800 hammerfall
    I will probably also have to get one of those soon

Im getting pretty good sounds with the G2 too, its not as hard in the sound as the earlier things like amplitube.

See you later

Vagn

10. vhollund

vhollund Member

I agree one has to tweek alot , Im still tweeking to get the midrange sound better. a good guitarvoiced preamp helps like they say
    I use it as vst with Logic 5.5.1 (PC)