Guitar Rig 3, Logic 8, and Überschall

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Orren, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Orren

Orren Member

If anyone's curious how amplifier models help amp builders, here's a great example. This is a Native Instruments promotional video of Paul Landers of Ramstein, sitting in front of his Logic 8 and Guitar Rig 3 setup. He gets some pretty juicy sounds out of it, talks about how vital GR3 is to his laptop writing setup, etc.

He also mentions that he liked the "Ultrasonic" model in GR3 so much that for his live Rammstein touring rig, he bought a Bogner Überschall (the amp it is modeled from). He had previously been using a Sansamp PSA-1 live.

I've always said that modeling amps are a great way to sell physical amps, and I think this shows it pretty clearly.

For GR3 users, the "Rammstein" preset from the video is also posted on their site (second link).
    http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?gr_paulrammstein
    http://www.native-instruments.com/i...dium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=NL727_GuitarMT08

Orren

2. Agramal

Agramal Member

I was watching that vid yesterday, and I posted a thread in Harmony Central asking opinions from those who actually own Guitar Rig 3. One poster said the high-gain sounds were terrible, which seems a bit surprising to me.

3. Orren

Orren Member

Obviously, taste is subjective, so one person's terrible is another person's Godly. ;) But personally, I'd say that the newer amps in Guitar Rig 3 (Ultrasonic, Citrus, in particular) are dynamic and sound good at high gain. The "first generation" amps, such as the Plexi, Gratifier, etc. aren't nearly as good at high gain. There's more than enough good stuff in GR3, but it's not all at that level.

Orren