Guitar Rig 3 vs GTR3 vs GearBox vs Amplitube 2

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Steve Dallas, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Which one has the most convincing guitar sounds for semi clean playing?

I own a PODxt and Amplitube 1.

Amplitube 1 is good for pretty much everything but guitar. Well, OK, it does have some nice clean tones, but the OD tones are very lacking.

We all know what the PODxt is capable of.

So how do Guitar Rig 3, GTR3, GearBox, and Amplitube 2 compare? Is there a standout among these plugins?

Does GearBox sound better than a POD since the PC has much more horsepower or is it the same thing repackaged?

Any insight will be appreciated.

2. elambo

elambo Member

I've read countless user reviews of all of those and I don't think there's a clear winner among them. I know that GTR3 tends to get the least excitement out of people, and GuitarRig3 and Amplitube2 earn similar levels of respect. Overall, because of its power and many options, I'm a fan of GuitarRig above the others.

3. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I hear ya on Amplitube 1....some reasonable bass tones in there, but nothing I liked for guitar.

I use guitar rig (v2)....it's very tweakable. I'd suggest downloading the demo, as it runs for 30 minutes with no limitations other than saving presets. Grab some of the tweed presets, and start tweaking them to taste. Most of the presets suck IMO, but you should be able to find a few that offer a good starting point.

I really like GR3's demo...I have it installed on my PC at work, and can load up my GR2 presets on it, and get some practice time in without requiring a second license.

Oh, one really nice thing about GR3 is that you can assign any control to be variable based on input level...if you want it to break up more as you dig in, just right click on the gain knob and and set it to be modifyable by the input level. Want a ducking delay, do the same with the wet/dry knob. Lots of options....

Cheers

Kris

4. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

5. Steve Dallas

Thanks for the info, guys. It sounds like Guitar Rig 3 is worth my time to download and demo.

It seems all of the sims can do clean well and produce some passable heavy tones, but I've yet to hear one that sounds good SEMI CLEAN. To me, that's the crux of a good amp sim. I'm just wondering if the technology is there yet.

6. Dannc6

Dannc6 Supporting Member

7. elambo

elambo Member

Two thing to consider - Waves is one of the worst companies in all of audio with what is clearly the least interest in customer satisfaction and support. They're legendary for it. This is a nearly unanimous opinion in the business if you poke around a little. And Paul Reed Smith being impressed, on camera, by a product that wears his name is to be expected.

GTR3 may be a fine product, but the fact that it's made by Waves and that PRS himself smiles when listening aren't exactly selling points.

Try the demos - only well to pick a favorite.

8. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

Waves prices and service aren't great, but they are by far the #1 plugin company as far as high end audiophile plugins(API, Neve, SSL, Tune, L316, are all amazing and have changed the way I feel about plugins vs. analog gear.) Haven't messed with GTR3 enough, liked what I heard when I briefly tried it, but based on their other products, I would bet it is killer. The fx pedals on GTR3 did sound really good.

9. elambo

elambo Member

When software plugins were in their infancy, Waves was indeed #1 since they jumped on board so early and so aggressively. I used to love just about everything they made, but that was in comparison to everything else available, which wasn't much. Not only has that title been stripped away from Waves for a long time, but I can't think of a SINGLE plugin, of any type, where Waves makes the best in class. EQ, compressor, reverb, distortion, modulation effects... I could name at least two companies in every field that make better plugins than even the best of what Waves has to offer.

10. YOGA64

YOGA64 Member

Hi,
    personally I love GUITAR RIG 3 for everything!!!
    You can check this clip made using a FENDER NOCASTER RELIC 51 and a VOX AC30 amp sim with a bit of reverb and nothing else.
    I love the way it reacts to my volume and attack changes.. Just like a tube amp IMHO.
    The tune is called TELEVOX
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=804454
    Sounds great to me :AOK

11. Neil

Neil Member

I have Guitar Rig 3. It is very good as others have mentioned. I picked up the Guitar rig combos for very few $s and found it to be excellent if you dont need the GR3 bells and whistles. Great value. I would say the marshall combo gives a good 'semi clean'

FWIW

Neil

12. Dannc6

Dannc6 Supporting Member

I'm not sure how customer satisfaction and support ties in with how the models sound. That is a subject for a different thread. I have both GTR 3 and Guitar Rig 3. I think they each have different strengths, but the impedance matcher box seems to make the process of plugging into a CPU feel more like an actual amp instead of 0's and 1's.
    I feel that the point of the video was to show how close the people at waves can come to matching any given tone out there. If they can match something to a rare high gain amp that Paul Reed Smith has, with tons of 80's effects and different mic's, then imagine how close they can come to amps, cabs, mic's, speakers, that you yourself might actually want to play. I like GTR3, and I think it is a viable solution.

13. BluesWannabe

BluesWannabe Member

I've tried GTR 3 and Amplitude 2... but I use Guitar Rig 3....

I really like the program... version 3 has been solid from day one... I used v1 & v2 before that, and I had to get the kinks out.... but Guitar Rig 3 sounds great.

P.S. There is a point release coming soon... 3.1 will be out "any day now"

14. Maxer

Maxer Member

I've been using GR since version 1... v3 is pretty dang solid. More and more, I am wondering why I have so many guitars on hand; modeling/emulation is only going to get better from here on in.

At the very least, it's an invaluable tool for home recording. I still mic live amps the odd time for the sheer novelty of it, but many of the GR3 presets are fantastic... you still have to properly work them into the mix with your DAW for optimum dynamics but wow, what great options to have with one software package.

15. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

Question for GTR3 users

I am on the fence with these 2 choices as well. The GTR3 interface looks cool (except for the fact it has to be powered). Am I right in assuming it connects via USB like Guitar Rig 3? It has powered XLR for a mic too? The web site is a little vague and I am wondering if the impedance match is a reason to get it over Guitar Rig.

16. Steve Dallas

EQ Magazine just reviewed GTR3. As I recall, the PRS interface is like a direct box and preamp combined. The output is balanced XLR IIRC.

The interesting thing is EQ didn't write a glowing review. They said it was a good product, but didn't gush, which I find telling.

They also bagged on it for requiring a USB dongle and said the PRS interface was cool, but you can do the same thing with any quality preamp.

17. elambo

elambo Member

I read that review as well and had the same thought. It's not often that a magazine like EQ gives a moderate review. I wonder what they really think?

18. elambo

elambo Member

I was responding to a post that mentioned the strength of Waves as a company. I realize that the OP asked specifically about the tone, but if he's considering BUYING one of these I think it's relevant for him to know what he'd be buying. The company is a large part of the product, especially software where updates, upgrades, and tech support are in typically your future.

19. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

Thanks for the info. I think I am going Guitar Rig 3. I've been using Line 6 stuff for a few years and tend to only like 2 clean sounds (Roland and Bassman). Looking for something better so this may be it :AOK

20. ManCas

ManCas Member

+ 1 for Guitar Rig 3, I have used Amplitube 1 and 2 but I like GR3 the most. Cheers.