Guitar set up question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kolbyt85, Feb 13, 2012.

1. kolbyt85

kolbyt85 Supporting Member

Just got a prs with trem. Played absolutely amazing with nines. I put earnie ball .10 slinky on it and the feel real tight almost like .11's. Anyone know how I can get it back to playing like it did with .9's??? It has a trem and I don't know if I should loosen or tighten it?
    I think the .10's will just add a lot of tone or I would just put .9's bak on her. As all pr ce guitars it has a double truss rod. I don't know if that would change the feel either. I just want them to feel more "slinky"

2. Dale

Dale Member

My experience is the .10's will not feel like .09's. They will great - but like .10's.

3. David Garner

David Garner Member

I don't think the 10s will add a lot of tone. My $0.02 is put the 9s back on.

FWIW, I run 9s on my Tele and Strat and 9.5s on my PRS (which came from the factory with 11s). Nothing at all wrong with light strings.

4. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

play it for a few weeks, your hands will get used to it.

or you know, switch back to the 9s...

5. theaxedoctor

theaxedoctor Member

I'd go back to 9's if you prefer how they feel. The 10's will have a bit more tension, which explains the 'less slinky' feel. When I started playing electric I used 9's but broke them too often. I eventually made my way to 11's because they were a bit easier to play slide on, but they were to difficult to bend. Now I'm back at 10's which feel just right to me.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

did you tighten the spring claw in the back so that the trem floated at the same angle as before?

if not, your bridge is pulled up more than it was, raising your action.

fix that and make sure your neck is properly straight, and it will play nicely with the 10s. (it won't feel like 9s, though.)

7. kolbyt85

Great! I'll do that today !!!!

8. kolbyt85

Tightened the bridge screws and Magic!!! Plays great again. I love the sound of the 10s. Thanks for the help really!!

9. walterw

you mean the two big screws in the back, right?

you do not want to mess with the 6 bridge screws across the front of the trem!

10. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

Lot of guys, techs, etc. rant about thicker gauges sounding better.. but I concluded that some guitars just prefer 9s. On standard Strats, Teles, 10s feel and sound nice..

But EBMM guitars for example, I've always preferred 9s. The necks are "overbuilt" you can say, they have thin grip, and just feel and even sound better with 9s, even when I'd tune down to Eb or D with 10s or 11s.

Have limited experience with PRS aside from borrowing some my students' models, but unless you're playing in Eb, I'd just go with the 9s if you play lot of lead guitar.

11. walterw

yeah, beck, page, clapton, hendrix and even may all sounded terrible with their 8s and 9s!

(that said, i can't play 'em; on 9s, i can play faster and trickier, but everything i do sounds like noodly crap.)

12. kolbyt85

Yes i meant the two screws on the back! and I think i am going to switch back to .9's for a gig or two just to see... I have always played .10's on my prs hollow, strat, and sg i have owned... but .10's on this prs ce feel just really heavy for some reason.. i might just take to a tech if i want to try tens again

13. RCM78

RCM78 Member

I've often wondered why some guitars feel stiffer then others. The PRS should feel slinkier then a strat since the scale length is shorter. It could boil down to the ammount of "give" the instrument has. The tension and ammount of springs on the bridge, the slight movement of the neck when bending strings. Stuff like that.

The your PRS neck is super stable I can see why it would feel stiff...