guitar setup fret level Spokane WA

normal ninja

Anyone know of a trusted person or venue to get a fret level especially but setups too in the greater Spokane WA area?

LBXPDX

Lynn Ellsworth maybe?

I’m not sure if he does repairs, but I believe he is a well respected luthier in Spokant. My nom de l’amour for Spokane.

you may want to call the Pawn 1 in North Spokane and ask the music guys who they recommend.

normal ninja

Pawn 1 was actually quite helpful. he speculated that Lynn Ellsworth is a bit busy building guitars to do setups & fretwork. but did offer some other contacts.

so, i ventured in to the guitar center & it turns out they do offer fret level/crown/dress. it's ~$175

idk if that's normal?

I also played 2 or 3 guitars there. The action on every 1 i looked at is higher than the setups i do on my own. IF i dropped off my warmoth & ~$175 later it was setup like the ones in the store, it'd be a long climb back to gruntled

i bought an ibanez from sweetwater probably a couple years ago. my sales engineer kinda pushed for me to get it setup & i finally figured what the heck, why not. i pretty much haven't been playing it since. it had dead frets & every string buzzed. i loosened the truss rod 1/4 turn in an effort to minimize the buzzing. which helped but still dead frets & still buzzing on wound strings

since then, i built the warmoth & read a book about setups. seems to me like the warmoth is setup pretty good now & while that one took my attention from the ibanez. i've returned to it now. i raised the saddles & found many of the adjustment screws were loose (no wonder i was having tuning issues) it was like there was tension on 1 side of the saddle but the other side was wobbly. i loosened the truss rod another 1/4 turn as well. now it's playable. no dead frets no buzz. i figured, lets see where this thing is & put a 16" straight edge on the frets. it's dead flat (a half turn of the truss rod later) no relief whatsoever.

i'd like to think that is something of an exception/anomaly but, won't be getting a setup from sweetwater any time soon.

that's where i'm reluctant to let just anyone do a fret level on basically these 2 guitars. i'd like to get the action slightly lower w/o dead frets or buzz. but, they are playable & better than the off the shelf GC stuff

AprioriMark

Gold Supporting Member
Honestly, call and ask Lynn. And pay whatever he asks if he's willing to do it. He's a good guy, and a true artist.

-Mark

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Lynn Ellsworth maybe?
IF i dropped off my warmoth .....
Haha....I would love to be in that room when you drop a Warmoth off for Lynn Ellsworth to do a set up on! You might get it back sawed in half.

EDIT: this is just a joke. I've never met Lynn, but I'm sure he is a nice guy who does great work. I just don't think he harbors any love for Warmoth, is all.

LBXPDX

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but do you have more information about this guy? His site looks really promising. I've exhausted all the fret levelling options in the Pullman area and I got a new Warmoth neck that I don't want to mess up.
I don’t. If I recall, I just did a google search. Last time I was in the area, there was a small music shop in CDA that had a couple nice acoustics on commission. They might have a guy they use for fretwork. I don’t recall the name nor do I know if the shop is even open anymore, but it’s worth a look.

Last edited:

Trending Topics