Guitar Shopping in Nashville

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Stringmaster, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm contemplating a short trip to Nashville to check out some acoustics (primarily). Would want to hit Carter's, Gruhn's, and maybe Artisan at least. It's been a long time since I've been. Would my best option be to fly in (from CA) and just rent a car to get around, or might there be other better options such as Uber, bus, etc? Is it walking distance between Carter's and Gruhn's? Trying to do it on the cheap if possible--maybe only staying one night, with the least amount of hassles. (I remember last time I was there driving was kind of a pain). Thx

2. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I think Carter's to Gruhn's is walking distance, unless you are carrying a guitar or two :cool:

Flying to Nashville from CA to do a little guitar shopping does not sound "on the cheap" especially when looking at expensive guitars which, I assume, you plan on buying 1 or 2 of.

Also, IMHO, unless you are really shopping for a bargain or are playing tourist you probably don't need to go anywhere other than those 2 places.

3. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

Maybe hit up Guitar Center?

:D

Crowder likes this.
  4. Taylor'd

Taylor'd Member

Carter has a great selection of acoustics and so does Gruhn's. I personally wouldn't walk from Carter to Gruhn. 8th ave is a pretty busy street and it's a little distance between the two stores. If you're looking for the cheapest option I would say rent a car. You can regularly rent a car for $20-30 a day. An Uber from the airport to Carter alone would cost you almost $20. If you rent a car you could also check out Corner music which has a pretty great selection of acoustics and hit GC if you had time too.

5. BlackbirdVintageMusic

BlackbirdVintageMusic Member

Don't forget Rumbleseat Music. Less square feet than Gruhn/Carters but far cooler pieces.

nsureit likes this.
  6. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

7. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

If you’re acoustic shopping you need to get to Artisan. It’s about a thirty minute drive from downtown but worth it.

Car rental is probably the way to go. Use Waze. Traffic is getting nutty up there.

8. Crowder

Also I’m just guessing here but I bet if you stay more than one night your flight is likely to be cheaper by enough to pay for that second hotel night. The airlines assume anyone flying in for one night is either desperate or on a corporate account and they price accordingly.

9. Crowder

They actually have a platinum GC there that is a definitely cut above the usual.

10. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

My girl dragged me into Two Old Hippies. I thought it was just a high end clothing store, until I wandered into 2 rooms in the shop and saw acoustics that cost all the way up to $30k.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  11. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

if you plan to buy a high end guitar get a second seat for it on the way back.

Laurence likes this.
  12. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

I just went to Nashville a few weeks ago. I'd recommend you get a rental car to make things much more convenient for yourself. Carters Grunhs and Guitar Centre are not super far from each other. Parking in downtown Nashville is a horrible experience. But GC, Carters' and Grunh's all have their own parking so this makes things easier.

That being said, I also did see people scooting to Carter's and there was a nice little row of them by the entrance ... always an option.. lol. For context, Nashville has these electric scooters all over the place that you can rent using your Uber App. If you go that route, be careful!

Crowder likes this.
  13. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Nashville is a super fun place to just listen to music, guitars shopping is cool but really no bargains to be found at any of the shops mentioned Carters, Grunhs, Rumble seat, Etc.

I do love window shopping however, I have way more fun going up and down Broadway having a drink and watching the great talent :D