Guitar shops...are you staying away right now?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daacrusher2001, Mar 15, 2020.

Is Coronavirus keeping you out of guitar shops ?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2020.
  1. Yes

367 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. No

239 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. cruiserman

cruiserman Member

I was thinking guitar stores might start paying people to take guitars because no one wants to touch the strings. I've heard playing guitar just isn't the same wearing gloves.

2. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

Let's face it, being out in public right now means looking over your shoulder; it means wondering if what you just touched could wreck you; it means getting startled by someone sneezing within hearing distance; it means the only toilet paper you can find is in the bathroom, and hopefully even there still; it means running to the bathroom to scrub your hands every half hour; it means avoiding things that other people have touched—guitars, for example.

At least traffic is way down now.

My wife doesn't want to go shopping.

But I can't find a can of green beans anywhere.

3. bassethound

bassethound Member

We do a yearly vacation in the Swan Valley and fly into Missoula. I always stop by Greg Boyd's before heading up to the cabin. Great little shop.

zguitar71 likes this.
  4. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I teach at a shop so no!

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  5. Wucan

Wucan Member

First time in a while I didn't play some guitars at the store. Bought some strings and that's all.

6. Ringo

Ringo Supporting Member

I’m not in Italy....

7. cm54545

cm54545 Member

The US and others are on very similar paths as Italy.

the29band, Jp2558, hippieboy and 2 others like this.
  8. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

I believe I read somewhere that Italy has an infection rate that is 118x higher than the US. Can you imagine? I think the same source reported that the UK infection rate is twice as high as the US. But, I suppose the infection rate is not necessarily going to remain static. It could change.

Somebody, had posted in this thread that the mortality rate could be as high as 10%. However, the last figure I read was more like 3.5% worldwide which is still crazy. For comparison, the flu is .1%. If accurate, out of 1000 people who become infected with flu, 1 will die. Out of 1000 infected with Coronavirus, 35 will die. That’s why we are seeing borders and businesses close. Of course, that statistic includes all people worldwide. The average age of people who have died from COVID19 is about 75 years old.

I read something about a group of doctors in California that have studied these types of viruses and had an article in the New England Journal of Medicine. They think the mortality rates are being overestimated. They believe a majority of people (possibly as much as 85%) can get Coronavirus and never show any symptoms or only show mild symptoms and so they go untested which will skew the mortality rate to look much higher than actual. But, even if the actual mortality rate were only 1%, that’s still 10x more deadly than the flu. The stealth nature of the virus and highly contagious nature add up to a high risk of the possibility of getting out of control fast.

We need to slow this thing down so that medical personnel and facilities can keep up with treatments. That’s why we’ve seen borders and businesses closing down.

Here is a website tracking COVID19 live worldwide data. Everything is rounded to whole numbers in percentages. And you have to realize that data is skewed by the fact that not everyone gets tested. No country can possibly test everybody, so only people who display symptoms get tested.

https://ncov2019.live/

P.S. If we are overreacting to COVID19, we may cause a ripple in the economy but it will be worth the lives saved. As the saying goes, better safe than sorry. And we’ve seen how bad things can get by what has already occurred in Italy.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Jp2558, goodertone, buddy7168 and 3 others like this.
  9. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Silver Supporting Member

Not taking this lightly, but I went to a shop yesterday and picked up Music man Steve Morse Y2D.

[​IMG]

10. Boundcustom

Boundcustom Vendor

We have started taking precautions at my shop. The lesson program closed last Tuesday. Small rooms are not good right now. The front door is locked and people have to knock to come in. We require people to wash their hands before testing gear. I have been wanting to do this for years so I welcome the washing change.
    I expect a total lockdown by Tuesday. Get ready. This is coming across the US. It is bigger than my ego or yours so make it easy and submit.

11. d95err

d95err Member

Yes for me. Not for the risk of being infected, but because with economy being so uncertain, I'm not going to spend money on non-essentials at the moment.

12. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

No why should I
    Got a guitar yesterday and I have to still go to
    Work in a large company with lots of people and I am probably way more exposed than many of you
    Have a great day and get out there but be safe

13. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

This is super interesting. I also have PsA, although I’m on methotrexate, not any biologics.

For the time being I’ve stopped taking the meds to keep the immune system strong. Not had arthritis symptoms yet, which is nice. Arthritis really messed up my fretting hand....it won’t ever be the same....so it’s all a bit messed up.

I’m self-isolating pretty heavily. I only really go out for food. I’m an academic, and all teaching has been moved online (which is a sham), so i don’t have to really go anywhere anyway.

Working on my jazz chops....

jrockbridge likes this.
  14. Hank Habanero

Hank Habanero Member

I'd buy some strings or picks if needed, but not trying any guitars, no.

15. twotone

twotone Member

I don't go into guitar shops often, so I'm not worried.

16. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Silver Supporting Member

I'm not avoiding them. I drove down to Fort Wayne Saturday to hang out at Sweetwater. Have to have something to do because it seems like everything under the damn sun has been cancelled.

17. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

OT, but New Paltz is a beautiful town. I was passing through last fall and stopped for dinner.

Artie Fisk likes this.
  18. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

Right now, yes, but last week I went to the GC twice. No issues except that the Contemp Strat is over-hyped.

They usually had a jug of hand sanitizer out but none was to be found. They're out of it, I guess.

19. RJLII

RJLII Member

Having too many guitars is keeping me out of guitar shops.

20. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

Carter Music in Nashville just announced they are closed except for online sales.

[​IMG]

hippieboy and daacrusher2001 like this.