Guitar shops in ATL

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by nac, Feb 27, 2012.

1. nac

nac Member

Hey all I'm headed to Atlanta for work in a week or two and I always like to detour through some local shops. Any recommendations?

An no, I dont mean the Guitar Center in Atlanta :):):)

2. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Maple Street: nice acoustics, good selection of G&L and Collings electrics too

GC Atlanta: the platinum room is pretty nice

Atlanta Discount: not much for guitars, but good for amps. Soldano, Matchless, Orange among others.

Boutique Guitar Exchange: Anderson, Grosh, Tyler. However, I think they have scaled back on their inventory.

3. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

This is it. I've spent a lot of time in each. Don't agree with the "not much for guitars" with Atl Discount, but to each his own. They're all fun. Enjoy!

4. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

Atlanta Discount...period

5. nac

nac Member

Thanks guys!

6. David Garner

David Garner Member

This is the same list I would make.

7. SharkAtl

SharkAtl Member

I live in Atlanta, and where my wife has what she calls her "tri-fecta" of HomeGoods, Stein Mart, and Nordstrom Rack, I have my own "tri-fecta" of Guitar Center, Atlanta Discount Music, and Maple Street Guitars.

Maple Street Guitars has a fantastic collection of Martins, Taylors and Collings acoustic guitars, and a limited electric section.

Guitar Center is ... well, Guitar Center.

Atlanta Discount Music has an eclectic mix of guitars (Reverend, Nash, Rickenbackers, etc.) and a great selection of amps.

There is also Sam Ash, which is just meh in my opinion.

Enjoy your stay!

8. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

Atlanta vintage guitar

You can go by there and say hi to all the gear I sold him in 2003. I still see several items that were mine(I sold a ton of vintage stuff to him) on his site.

In Smyrna

9. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Thanks for doing this thread, OP. I'm going to ATL in a few weeks myself. Accompanying my wife on one a convention. Besides the Aquarium which I've always wanted to visit, these stores should give me a few worthwhile distractions.

10. ethereal cereal

ethereal cereal Wave upon wave of demented avengers... Silver Supporting Member

Another vote for ATL Discount Music, my favorite by far. Lots of great amps, 3 cases full of boutique pedals, and lots of guitars. Never know what you might find.

11. ethereal cereal

ethereal cereal Wave upon wave of demented avengers... Silver Supporting Member

Last I checked Atlanta vintage had closed up shop.

12. clarkram

clarkram Member

they recently reopened with a storefront location in Woodstock Ga, I sold them a couple of pieces about 2 weeks ago.

13. GTechNick

GTechNick Member

Cool, I didn't realize this place existed. It looks like it is somewhere behind the Dwarf House?

14. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Next to the "Starship Enterprises & Galaxy Trading CO".

15. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

AVG's old place was a mini shithole. They needed a new place.

I wish I had all my gear back. He's been trying to make a fortune off of it for 10 yrs and still has a bunch of it . Only thing I can guess was it was hard to find cool stuff and he really wants to keep it

16. rainmaker

rainmaker Member

@Angry Old Man- not sure which "he" you're talking about but I'm assuming you mean Frankie Moates? He passed away a couple of years ago. But he did indeed know cool stuff and if you gave him cool stuff, I can assure you he probably did want to hold on to it.

17. jawjatek

jawjatek Member

Frankie Moates was a good friend, a great player, and we miss him. Don't know whom is running AVG now and can't say anything about it. Last guitar I bought was a Taylor from Maple Street.

18. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

Sorry to hear of your loss. I havent been there since 03'

That 52' Silvertone Aristocrat that was the cover of his web page for a Long time was mine. It was mint with a great story behind it. serial# 005

He still has my(seen on his site) all "gold" 54' strat (dont remember who it was named after but it was a copy of one of the first one offs even given out), H-62 Harmony "Artist", 61' 2x12 Airline amp, and a couple other items.

I bet very few of my items were sold because it took me years to find some of them.

19. rainmaker

rainmaker Member

I got to spend a lot of time with him as a teenager, when I was just starting out. He taught me a lot about playing but probably more about gear (that I was too young to understand at that time). But the kind of stuff Angry Old Man is talking about was right up his alley for sure.

These days I like Atlanta Discount...and the web.

20. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

Wish Atlanta Discount would have been there when I was