Guitar shops in Boston?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Matt L, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Taking a trip down there on Thursday, looking for somewhere other than Guitar Center to browse. Anything cool in the city, or nearby? Between Boston and Maine, even?

2. No.9

No.9 Member

Mr. Music in Allston and The Music Emporium in Lexington

3. No.9

No.9 Member

Good variety, they update inventory on their website regularly, same with Music Emporium.

4. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

How about Boston Guitar Works in Brockton?

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

mr.music is in allston...

6. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Ok, thanks. Might be cool to check out the pedals, at least. About all I can afford at the moment. ;)

7. French Fry

French Fry Member

You might be thinking of the guitar center that used to be on comm ave. It moved a couple years ago to a bigger spot behind fenway park.

The music emporium tailors to a smaller range of tastes, but they truly have some world-class guitars in there.

8. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

It's a little bit out of the way but you should definitely check out Mouradian Guitar in Winchester. Always a great selection of guitars and amps and Jim and John are tops.

9. dmargo1045

dmargo1045 Member

The Music Emporium is mostly an acoustic shop, but it is one of the best. You will not see lots of electric guitars and amps there, but you will see world-class acoustics.

10. taez555

taez555 Member

I used to live around the corner from Mr. Music 10+ years ago. In the last few years since I left (still work near by) they've really expanded their pedal selection. Last time I was in there I picked up a Fulltone Deja Vibe. Not to mention they had Keeley's, Death By Audio, Xotic and all sorts of other nerdy pedals in their case. Guitar selection is small still, but focused. Always some nice vintage Les Paul's and whatnot on the walls. Really the only mom and pop guitar store left in Boston.

11. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

12. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

+1 for Bill's on Main St in Peabody - small shop but lots of cool guitars and Bill is a cool dude, just call ahead to make sure he's open...

13. Ben R

Ben R Member

I'm not sure if it's still there, or not. But, Boston Guitar in Brockton, MA has loads of Boutique amps, pedals, and other gear. Here's their website:

http://www.bostonguitar.com

Boston Guitar
    1717 Main Street
    Brockton, MA 02301-7134
    Phone: (508) 580-0088

I haven't been there in a couple of years, but they had tons of different kinds of amps (Bogner, Dr. Z, Soldano, Matchless, BadCat, etc.)

14. hube

hube Member

Has anyone checked out Mass Ave Music in Porter Square? Above where Cambridge Music used to be. I've been meaning to stop in but haven't had a chance yet

15. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I haven't, but sure miss Cambridge Music. They always had a great selection of good used stuff. Jimmy Mouradian used to be upstairs there. I dig the mess at Bill's in Peabody. How 'bout Mark's in NH. I believe he is appointment only, but make one!

16. macca

macca Member

they have a decent selection of boutique pedals and amps, but the poster who politely said "ok service" was being way too kind. I would check out their webiste; if they have something in stock you really want to try in person, go for it; otherwise, I wouldn't waste the drive

17. KenRothman

KenRothman Supporting Member

the place on the "bent" street may be the old Boston location of Cambridge Music, near Berklee... Hemenway st.

18. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Like another post said, check out any in-stock item if you wish. If you do a TGP search, you'll find a thread to two mentioning this store and actual customer experience; much of it more than a little negative. I sold a cab there six years ago and the owner busted my chops the entire time. I haven't been there since.

19. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

This actually makes me want to go there even more.:rotflmao

What was he saying to you?

20. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Mr. Know-It-All insisted the spkrs in the cab (which I took in used in a trade in 1982) should have had greenbacks. It didn't. It had Marshall-labeled G12H-65s. I never told him it had gbacks. Yada yada.

Trust me. You'll feel like you need a shower after you leave......