Guitar shops in UK?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by al89, Feb 24, 2012.

1. al89

al89 Member

Hey guys, for those people residing in UK I am having a school exchange in London and Newcastle. So I was wondering if there is any guitar shops worth visiting or maybe even places or guitar forums in UK I am able to purchase used instruments.

2. english_bob

english_bob Member

Your best place to start might be Musicradar.com. It's run by the publisher of several british music magazines and has a busy forum- almost entirely UK based posters- where I've done several smooth deals for used gear. Good people on there. You're also likely to find people who live in the two cities you're going to who can tell you what's good.

You should definitely visit Denmark Street in London, which is all music shops, if only to experience the legendary inflated prices and asshole shop assistants first hand :D

A word of warning though- UK gear prices are high compared to the US, and a lot of more esoteric stuff from the US never gets here, or isn't readily available, so you might find gear shopping over here a disappointment. You *might* find that old UK / Euro gear is cheaper than you'd pay in the States, but not US stuff.

How long are you here for? When you say "school" exchange, are we talking high school or college? How much of your trip is going to be guided tours and sheep-herding and how much is free time? Only the guitar shops aren't usually right next to the museums and art galleries...

3. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

There is a large GuitarGuitar store in Newcastle I'm sure.

4. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

Yep GuitarGuitar is in Newcastle, never been but ordered my Tyler through them, nice guys

5. Ben

Ben Member

There's also a branch of SoundsLive on Dean Street in Newcastle, as you head down towards the Quay.

6. mr_cheef

mr_cheef Member

Guitarguitar is where it's at, awesome stuff in that place! :)

7. al89

al89 Member

It's a university exchange! I have 8 days free and easy in London and 1 month in Newcastle. My weekends are free in Newcastle so I can move around freely. Thank you all for the info guys! Yeah I understand the prices might be more ex but from calculations for certain gear is cheaper like a fender Baja telecaster. I am from Singapore btw:)

8. Loobster

Loobster Member

Guitar stores in central london are awful, you have to travel a way out of the city for anything good.

9. JimR56

JimR56 Member

In the experience I had with a London shop, the assistants could not have been more helpful, polite, expeditious and generally professional. It was the shop owner that was a colossal asshole.

10. Loobster

Loobster Member

You're one of the lucky ones!

They must've smelt a tourist's fat wallet.

11. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=653992

I went to all the Denmark Street shops that were open on Sunday. They were ok, but had a chance to go to Peter Cook's...would highly recommend going there. Good guys, small shop with lots of cool gear. Was able to try out some PRS and Gretsch models I can't seem to ever find here in NJ.

Have fun...

12. Loobster

Loobster Member

You trekked all the way out to Peter Cook's? Woah. Way out in the burbs. I hope you were living near there. They have some nice stuff but it's not a very inspiring store to visit, they keep hardly anything in the shop front. Nice guys and helpful though.

Guitar Guitar is great (in Epsom, about 20 miles from London) if you can do the journey. Ditto for Peach (near Braintree in Essex) about 50 miles from London. They have Suhr/PRS/tons of Dr. Z/FCS etc.

13. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

The best music shop in/around the London area is probably Andertons (in Guildford, 30 mins on the train from central london.)

The best music shop in the country (and possibly the world) is GAK in Brighton, which is a 45 min train from London Victoria.

Actually in London you have Denmark street, which is the highest concentration of music shops in any one area anywhere in the world I believe. There are loads of music shops down a small street, but only one is really worth checking out imo, Vintage and Rare Guitars. Amazing things in there! The majority of the rest of the stores there are owned by the same company (Music Ground) and yeah, the shop assistants there are not the greatest.

Theres a new GuitarGuitar in Epson, I haven't been yet but I really want to!

14. telecasting

telecasting Member

Guitarguitar in Newcastle is pretty similar to most guitar shops. Poor customer service from guys who think they own the guitar world.

15. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

16. al89

al89 Member

Thank you all for the responses!

17. english_bob

english_bob Member

Is there particular stuff you've got your eye on, or are you just hoping to snag a bargain on *something*? If you're interested in something particular other than the obvious mainstream stuff you might need to do some research as to where to get it and budget for a day trip on our overpriced and poorly performing public transport system.

Beware of Music Ground! If you're interested in vintage gear at all, tread *very* carefully around these guys- I'm not sure how the court case panned out, but suffice to say that the allegations that these guys were selling fake vintage gear were serious enough to warrant one.

You may well have thought of this already, but be prepared for the costs of getting any new purchases home with you. Airlines have hefty charges for baggage above your allowance for size and weight, aren't renowned for treating guitars with any respect if they go in the hold and aren't always inclined to let you take them as carry-on luggage. If you want to take a new guitar home with you, may I recommend that you invest in a good quality hardcase from these guys, who are pretty much a british music institution in themselves:

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/

...and all this before you consider any import taxes that might be applicable on bringing stuff in to Singapore.

18. Butterscotch

Butterscotch Member

19. dunara

dunara Member

Chandlers, Peach, Peter Cooks, Vintage and Rare - all well worth a look.
    DON'T go near anything to do with Music Ground; and sadly now, that includes most of Denmark Street. :puh

GuitarGuitar shops have a mixed press. I've always had a good experience, but I know people who've not. Either way, they have some interesting stock....

20. Smoky

Smoky Member