Guitar Show Disappointment

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Woody Duke, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Woody Duke

Woody Duke Member

I went to the show sponsored by VG magazine Sunday at the Orange County (CA) fairgrounds. Never went before, but based on photo spreads of other shows I expected much more. Almost no luthiers, 2 amp builders, just a bunch of mom/pop retailers and eBayers. There were very many Fs, Gs, Rickys, Harmonys, and Silvertone/Supro types, but I feel like I spent $30 so wifey and I could go to a large pawnshop, with the option of a $9.50 cheeseburger in the patio. I knew it was NAMM weekend, but I'm not among the elite who can go to that; I was hoping a few builders would be showing. Only one was RD Allen, who makes pretty jazzboxes and early Bigsby-style solidbodies. Wifey was sorely tempted by a turquoise-sparkle Danelectro Hodad for $350 (she doesn't play, but loved the color). Doubt I'll go next year.

Can anyone recommend a better SoCal show?

2. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

NAMM, sorry if that seems like a dig. You do not need to be amongst the elite, you do need to have contacts within the retail industry. When I lived there my local music store would give me a ticket for one day or more based upon my continued business. It helps if they are an independant and buy for themselves. Tickets can be had.

3. IBTom

IBTom Member

I've been going to them for a couple of years now. The best one that I've been to was last year I think when it was held at the Santa Monica civic center. A big venue, lots to see. Aside from that one show, I've always felt a bit disappointed that there weren't more folks selling parts, any pickup winders there, and the like. Seeing more builders and their creations would be nice too. Most of what we buy comes from the internet, sight unseen and only a youtube clip or mp3 file to help our selection. Most local shops here don't sell the pieces that one would really like to try out. Having the ability to see in person, hear, touch, etc would certainly make the show much better IMHO.

On the flip side of that, having been a custom woodworker, it is quite expensive to get a spot at a show like that and each city sets their own restrictions on seller's permits, taxes, etc. Combine that with no guarantee that you'll sell enough to recoup your expenses, it can be, from the seller's standpoint, better to stay home and catch up on the orders which are guaranteed income.