Guitar Shows

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
Where do you guys find out about these shows? I never know when they are happening. I live in TN so Nashville would be ideal destinations for me, if they even have shows there.
Vintage Guitar magazine always lists upcoming guitar shows.

sws1

Where do you guys find out about these shows? I never know when they are happening. I live in TN so Nashville would be ideal destinations for me, if they even have shows there.
You'd think Nashville (Franklin) would have a great vintage guitar show, but it is very small, relatively speaking. It's about 1/10 the size of Arlington (or close). Many of the same dealers, but many many less guitars.

jdogric12

If admission was free, I would attend every show within 50 miles.
I refuse to pay admission for the right to shop for music gear.
Just my two cents.
How much are we talking?

Calculate the gas for driving to each of the shops in attendance and see which one is more. Might not be such a bad deal!

guitarmind

Supporting Member
How much are we talking?

Calculate the gas for driving to each of the shops in attendance and see which one is more. Might not be such a bad deal!
Very true! If I just wanted to drive around town and hit up all the local music stores. But...............shopping the individual stores would expose you to a lot more gear,
as the dealers at the shows do not bring all their wares to the shows.
I enjoyed the shows in the past, and exhibited at them also. I just think that some of the shows with a $20.00 + entry fee is not worth it.
I won't pay to enter a Sam Ash or Guitar Center, and I think the guitar shows should be the same.

When I need or want a specific piece of gear I will search the web, if I am "just shopping", I want that to be free. That's all.

jdogric12

Very true! If I just wanted to drive around town and hit up all the local music stores. But...............shopping the individual stores would expose you to a lot more gear,
as the dealers at the shows do not bring all their wares to the shows.
I enjoyed the shows in the past, and exhibited at them also. I just think that some of the shows with a $20.00 + entry fee is not worth it.
I won't pay to enter a Sam Ash or Guitar Center, and I think the guitar shows should be the same.

When I need or want a specific piece of gear I will search the web, if I am "just shopping", I want that to be free. That's all.
I agree, $20 is pushing it, outside of a major city like NYC or DC.

treeofpain

Silver Supporting Member
I do 4 or 5 shows per year. They were certainly more dynamic from the 90s until around 2006, but they are still fun. I usually buy a lot of guitars and amps, so stuff can be priced fairly, but you have to be knowledgeable and work to find it. If you want to sell gear, be prepared to wholesale it unless you can find another walk-in who wants what you have.

Timmo

Supporting Member
Went to The Arlington Guitar show and helped a friend out in his booth with his reworked vintage Stellas/Oscar Schimdts etc. They went over really well! Lots of attention and contacts.

Dealers had two days to load in (Thursday & Friday ) and it was quite interesting with all of the "horse trading" that goes on before the public gets in.

He sold $10K or so mostly to dealers but a fourth or so to the public.

Saturday was pretty crowded (like I remember it being) but saw little money changing hands except for the guys from Japan.
They bought quite a bit (just like I remember ).

Prices were extremely high for the same ole "blue chip stuff" with deals to be had on the lesser known stuff.

Sunday was dead with the public but more trading among the dealers.
I overheard a few of the "big dealers" saying that the show was "insanely good" mainly due to the guys from Japan from what I could tell.

All in all, it was fun BUT nowhere near the "buzz and excitement" of the nineties when I was going every year............

ncyankee

I have gone to the Bee3 shows for years but always find the prices to be artificially inflated, the quality to be very hit or miss and many of the dealers confrontational.

I wonder if I am alone in this but the older I get and the more vintage gear I acquire the more I prefer to pay that slight premium to purchase from the few vintage dealers I trust.

GibsonSGgirl

I have gone to the Bee3 shows for years but always find the prices to be artificially inflated, the quality to be very hit or miss and many of the dealers confrontational.

I wonder if I am alone in this but the older I get and the more vintage gear I acquire the more I prefer to pay that slight premium to purchase from the few vintage dealers I trust.
I find this to be true as well at the Bee 3 Vintage shows, and I have been going for at least 10 years. I didn't go this year as it was in Asheville and I didn't feel like driving that far to look at a bunch of overpriced guitars from the same old unfriendly sellers. I'll wait till it comes back to Charlotte.

I've been attending Dallas or Arlington every couple years for quite a while. Prices were extremely optimistic, and boy you are right about dealers being confrontational. Only a few we spoke to were nice. What is the deal with these guys?

Harryq

I enjoyed going to shows during most of the 1990's. There was usually an atmosphere that was mostly positive and fun. Most of the attendees seemed to be there because they enjoyed making music with guitars. Somewhere around the late 90's, it seemed to be more and more about making money with selling guitars, which was very serious business. There was always a table of Japanese buyers with stacks of cases to be sent home, and none to sell. The Burst Brothers were always rushing around with cell phones glued to their ears. I'd be in conversation with dealers I knew well, who would cut the conversation off immediately if someone "more important" came along. In other words, it just stopped being fun. If it starts being fun again, I'll start going again.

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Gold Supporting Member
I just stoped going because it's just the same old grumpy old dudes selling high and buying low!!! I just go to Norms if I want to just window shop and there's no cover charge!!

ncyankee

I find this to be true as well at the Bee 3 Vintage shows, and I have been going for at least 10 years. I didn't go this year as it was in Asheville and I didn't feel like driving that far to look at a bunch of overpriced guitars from the same old unfriendly sellers. I'll wait till it comes back to Charlotte.
I went to the Asheville show and was disappointed again. They are also doing one in March or so in Greenville. I’ll most likely go to that also even though I know it will suck and I’ll leave empty handed and disappointed.

treeofpain

Silver Supporting Member
There have been 2 or 3 different Atlanta shows through the years, but for whatever reason they didn't continue. The Spartanburg SC show in March of each year pretty much covers the Atlanta area, since the show is right off I85. Also easily accessible from other cities since it is near I26.

I was at Asheville in September. The promoter normally does the show in Charlotte but the traditional venue has closed. I thought it went pretty well, especially for a first-time show. The venue was nice and the number of dealers was surprisingly high. A good variety of stuff.

drewl

I always enjoy them and go if I'm not busy.

I'm near the Philly show, so it's easy to go.
Heck it's right around the corner from here at work, actually one of our customers/vendors is right there.

Stratburst70

The only one in my area is run by a vintage shop with a rather questionable reputation so I usually give it a pass.

There are two decent vintage shops in town so I usually visit those on a Saturday afternoon if I have the time and inclination.