Guitar Shows?

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Overture Guitars, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Bruce Bennett

Bruce Bennett Senior Member

well, you've gotten plenty of Positives on the amp show.. Now allow me to be Mr. Negative..( again)

We ( J .Backlund Designs) Attended the first Nashville Amp show.. and while I have NOTHING bad to say about the show itself or the promoters, they did one HECK'uva job putting together a first rate show...

but heres what happened to us.

#1. we were on the top floor with most of the other guitar builders. and a tiny bit away from the rest of the hoopla on the lower floors.
    #2. nearly everyone that we saw brought their guitars with them so they could try out new amps.. So for us.. bringing Guitars was kinda not working for us. Although the guy next door did sell a few Reliced Tele and Strat types.. but most of the other guitar builders echoed similar experiences. bringing guitars to an amp show just didn't work for us.. Of course we also brought amps too,
    So i don't know what happened but we just never had any traffic where we were.

Im not saying amps show are bad.. just that you can bomb out at any show regaurdless of format. I think you have to generate the interest for folks to want to "see" your products long before any show. but don't count on the shows themselves to "make you a star" overnight...
    if folks have not heard of you BEFORE they egt to the show.. they wil pass you by so fast you'll wonder if you have the plague or something.

2. Overture Guitars

Overture Guitars Member

Boy, isn't that the truth. It seems that everyone is looking for the well known names at the shows. I have seen and played many guitars from smaller builders that are just as good as the well knowns, if not in some cases, better then some of those companies. What is the deal with that? IMHO it seems that some smaller companies choose to use more expensive woods & parts, and put in a little more TLC into their products, to try to get their company to stand out from the mainstream products.

I could go on about that, but I don't want to veer off the original topic, of course. :hide2

3. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Bruce....you are right on. Most people that came into my room at Nashville had at least heard of me before they came. The format is great, best format in my opinion for people to really hear your stuff. I will do Nashville amp show again over the regular Nashville guitar show. Maybe we should start a new series of guitar shows with this format!

4. Bruce Bennett

Bruce Bennett Senior Member

Agreed. The format is excellent.

I've thought for years how Chattanooga might be a great place to host a show like this.. we are 2-3 hours drive from nearly every major city in the south. if you could advertise it right in Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, Huntsville, Birmingham, Athens. you might have one heckuva turnout.

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

My experience in Nashville was different than Bruce's. I had a lot of people come by our room who had absolutely no idea of who we were or what we did. We were busy almost all of Saturday, and Sunday was fairly slow (like all of the shows).

And oddly enough, I would say out of all the shows in the last 12 months, Nashville had the least amount of people carrying their own instruments into our room. I think New York had the most people carrying their own instruments.

6. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I was a little surprised I didn't see more people walk into my room with their own guitars at LA. Maybe they just didn't come in? :bonk:rotflmao

Hey Adam- taking a trailer to Nashville again next year? I might have to load you up with stuff so I can just fly down :rotflmao

7. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

We flew in to Nashville. Did the drive to Austin, which was great fun, but Nashville would have added another day of driving. Of course, if I get a bus before then, then we will be driving..... and playing.....

8. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Austin is what I was thinking off. I have friends down there who I'm WAY over due to visit. I'll make you an offer you can't refuse to be my "mule" :rotflmao

9. Mountain Cat Guitars

Mountain Cat Guitars Member

Ill meet you guys in Nashville, Havent been there in a few years, Never been to Austin, might be fun too!!!! Count me in

10. CobraGuitarsNYC

CobraGuitarsNYC Member

I had a great time at the Anaheim show. I had the Cavemaster i just finished the day be for and got a great response walking around. I was sharing a booth with La Bella strings, Mas Hino NYC, and Sadowsky. Great Vibe and got to hang with a lot of fun people.

Pictures from the trip!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=100000894615233&aid=34828

Good seeing you Adam! sorry we missed each other at the Willie show!

Hows the guitar show at SXSW in Austin? ill be there playing with my band Caveman so ill have a lot of Cobra Guitars with me.

11. CobraGuitarsNYC

CobraGuitarsNYC Member

Doug! My Dude! Ill be in Nashville too. Party with Mike Witty! Jagger bombs!

12. Overture Guitars

Overture Guitars Member

Hey Chris,

It would be sweet if you could get a guitar show going in STL. I think that would make for a great show, especially for some Midwest and East Coast builders. I believe, "if you build it they will come". :aok I personally think it would be central for a lot of luthiers.

13. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Dallas International, with Jimmy wallace!

14. Overture Guitars

Overture Guitars Member

Sounds good to me! We will be there in April. :aok

15. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Great to see you too. I'm glad you made it out. Next time, we go to Willie together.

16. Overture Guitars

Overture Guitars Member

Ok, I have a few questions about the Dallas International Guitar Festivial show for anyone who has exhibited there before.

1.) Exhibiting for the first time, what is the show like? Is it just a table top style show?
    2.) Do exhibitors build elaborate booths, or is it just simply, put your guitars on a table and exhibit?
    3.) Is it just for the "Vintage" crowd, or do collectors and regular buyers come just to see something new?

If anyone has some insight on these questions or something they could add about their experience at the show, it would be greatly appreciated.

17. Gizmoaudio

Gizmoaudio Member

Where are the best places to show guitar pedals?

18. Overture Guitars

Overture Guitars Member

Just wondering who was going to the Dallas International Guitar Festival in a few weeks. We will be exhibiting for the first time. Hoping to meet some of TGP folks down there.