Guitar signal -> midi

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Samgreen, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:46 PM.

1. Samgreen

Samgreen Member

I want to record/perform synth parts using my guitar as the controller. For separate reasons, I'm planning on picking up a line 6 hx stomp. Any midi conversion potential there? Thanks!

2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

3. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

None.
    If all you need are single lines, there are some so-so options out there. Otherwise you're looking into entering the world of hex pickups and guitar synthesizers.

4. ElliotG

ElliotG Member

mbenigni and MWiggins like this.
  5. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Indeed the Stomp will not convert guitar to midi, but it does make a very nice recording interface. I do a lot of recording using Mixcraft 8 on either a Dell Precision or Dell tablet, and have abandoned all my Roland hex midi gear for JamOrigin Midi Guitar 2. I also use a Stomp as my audio interface.

I was very skeptical of Midi Guitar 2, but it actually tracks as good or better than any of the Roland synth gear I have used since 1986 or so. I currently have several old GR units, and a GR-55, along with a Brian Moore 13 pin equipped electric, and Midi Guitar 2 tracks as well as any of the gear. I was not expecting much from it, but was shocked at how well it does work.

IMHO Midi Guitar 2 may be one of the reasons you do not see much new 13 pin guitar synth hardware. Midi Guitar 2 has rendered that technology obsolete. If someone would make a stompbox with Midi Guitar 2 functionality and a midi out, that would be quite a revolutionary device. Roland or Fishman should step up.

BuleriaChk and mbenigni like this.
  6. Thark

Thark Member

Another option is the Sonuus G2M. It’s not polyphonic but it is a simple, small standalone unit ... no computer needed.