Guitar simulators sounded bad??

Mills_guitars

Hi, so i recently made threads on going digital with hardware and software.

I tried a bunch of different demos of guitar simulators for pc.
I used my dads studio monitors which are great and his mixer to get the guitar signal into the computer.
They all sounded bad and nothing like videos on youtube or anything like that.
Since its black friday i want to know if i shouldn't give up on guitar sims for pc.

The only thing i could imagine making it sound bad is using a mixer instead of audio interface.
Could this just be the thing that makes it bad or what do you think??

Mills_guitars

how am i the problem??

and even those videos with low views sound better than it did for me with same settings.
i was just asking why it might sound worse than it should

Last edited by a moderator:

roverdog

I think you have identified your problem, getting your guitar signal into the guitar amp sim. How are you hooking up your guitar to the mixer? How does the mixer interface with the computer? What mixer are you using?

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
Need specifics, what did you try exactly, just saying guitar simulators says nothing.

PaisleyWookie

I’m thinking using the mixer as the interface is likely the culprit. A lot of the amp plugins are really picky with inputs. Even some audio interfaces that claim to have an instrument input aren’t always ideal.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
What is your signal chain?
Are you taking a mini plug out from the computer headphone output and into a mixer and then into monitors?

That does not always translate well.

TonyCass

Hi, so i recently made threads on going digital with hardware and software.

I tried a bunch of different demos of guitar simulators for pc.
I used my dads studio monitors which are great and his mixer to get the guitar signal into the computer.
They all sounded bad and nothing like videos on youtube or anything like that.
Since its black friday i want to know if i shouldn't give up on guitar sims for pc.

The only thing i could imagine making it sound bad is using a mixer instead of audio interface.
Could this just be the thing that makes it bad or what do you think??
Sorry for the unhelpful post ...

Anyway - what have you been using up to this point? Really good players can make anything sound really good. Two good YouTube examples of this are Pete Thorn and John Cordy. Anything they demo just sounds like them.

One thing to keep in mind when using a guitar modeler is to be sure you have your input signal set correctly. Too much or too little will make it hard to get a good sound.

The mixer may not have a “high Z” input which would also result in sub par results.

You may also be hearing the dry guitar signal being mixed with the effected signal if you dont have the monitoring set correctly.

Forget trying to use presets without adjusting them to your setup. There are a lot of variables that need to be accounted for.

Id also suggest watching a of “dialing in” videos on YouTube. It does not matter what device or software is being used. Watching how someone approaches a preset or the steps to create a tone can help you dial in better sounds.

Hope my 2 cents help....

Id also try and give more info if you want help or direction. What style do you play, what you have tried, what you are looking to achieve, what are you comfortable using now ....

Ejay

First thing to check: anything in the mixer going on before it hits the analog to digital converter? Eq/effects?
Also....check the level you are recording at..experiment with the channel gain of the mixer.

phil_m

How did this get here? I'm not good at computer.
Gold Supporting Member
Gotta be careful with those mixers...

Fenderbaum

What guitar you used?
I get a glassy, nasal sound on a Strat with active EMG´s.
But..a whole other world on regular passive pup´s..

D K Souther

Platinum Supporting Member
It probably an input impedance issue. Get an interface that is made for instrument level and impedance.

Mills_guitars

The mixer was basically just a converter to go from the guitar to the line in or mic in on my computer.
Thats it
The mixer didn't really do anything other than being a converter, but i think having used a proper interface would be much better, but i just wanted to know it that just might be it to fix it

I also used Bias Fx, Bias Amp, S-gear, Amplitube and one more i dont remember.

Mills_guitars

I just used the mixer because i dont have an interface, and i wanted to try out these simulaters to see if they were worth getting an interface for

PaisleyWookie

The mixer was basically just a converter to go from the guitar to the line in or mic in on my computer.
Thats it
The mixer didn't really do anything other than being a converter, but i think having used a proper interface would be much better, but i just wanted to know it that just might be it to fix it

At least S-Gear out of that list is really good. So with the right interface, you should get some good results. You don’t have to spend a ton of money either. A Presonus iTwo or Scarlett 2i2 (recent version) will work great.

Ejay

Thats it

S gear sounds good....if you can’t make that work...it’s not the vst.
All modern converters are good enough these days.

Maybe impedance...do you have a pedal laying around with a buffer?...putting that in the chain, even bypassed, may fix it.

TonyCass

Thats it

This is your issue. The line in on your computer is not designed to capture a guitar signal and prepare it for a modeler. Even the preamp on a high end mixer into the line in on a computer will produce sub standard results.

My advice would be to buy an audio interface. Even interfaces under $100 can provide really great results. The other benefit will be a better experience in a Daw if you decide to go that route.

Id look at these two if you are on a tight budget.

This one will be good enough forever: Focusrite Scarlett solo($109)

This one opens the door to at least let you figure out if amp sims on your computer are what you really want: Behringer U-Phoria UM2 ($48).

Mills_guitars

This is your issue. The line in on your computer is not designed to capture a guitar signal and prepare it for a modeler. Even the preamp on a high end mixer into the line in on a computer will produce sub standard results.

My advice would be to buy an audio interface. Even interfaces under $100 can provide really great results. The other benefit will be a better experience in a Daw if you decide to go that route.

Id look at these two if you are on a tight budget.

This one will be good enough forever: Focusrite Scarlett solo($109)

This one opens the door to at least let you figure out if amp sims on your computer are what you really want: Behringer U-Phoria UM2 ($48).
I thought that might be the issue, just wanted to know if that might be it before investing in any sims

Trending Topics