Guitar slap/pop technique HELP ME!

JC.loop

Hey guys, I've been really getting into Tomo's slap technique, I saw a video of him working on some slap and pop. His rhythm is spot on and funky, I love that feel. Up until now I've been trying out Wootens double thumb and plucks on my tele. Any slap/pop guitarists out there who can give me some tips? Good form? I really need it specific; all the way down to the muscle groups you use, i.e: wrist, elbow, shoulder :O, or anything else, any slap lessons out there I should be aware of? Thanks!

derekd

Supporting Member
In addition to Tomo, Jack Zucker of Sheets of Sound has explored this technique. Both these guys are regulars here.

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, I've been really getting into Tomo's slap technique, I saw a video of him working on some slap and pop. His rhythm is spot on and funky, I love that feel. Up until now I've been trying out Wootens double thumb and plucks on my tele. Any slap/pop guitarists out there who can give me some tips? Good form? I really need it specific; all the way down to the muscle groups you use, i.e: wrist, elbow, shoulder :O, or anything else, any slap lessons out there I should be aware of? Thanks!
Contact Tomo directly, he'll throw you some tips.

There's a guy named Scott Mishoe who does some extended/virtuosic slapping techniques on the guitar. I don't have a link right off hand, but I'm sure he's got some video on the Web.

Check out Jean-Marc Belkadi, used to teach at Musicians Institute and Los Angeles Music Academy, amazing player who does tons of cool slap-pop stuff, he put out a book on the subject as well

JC.loop

I've seen Ben Lacey and I agree, he is a virtuoso of slap technique, too bad he hasn't come out with an EP or any lessons. Thanks for all your feedback guys.

Trending Topics