Guitar Slightly Bleeds Through Amp On Standby- Please Help!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by guitarshaman, Jul 7, 2008.

1. guitarshaman

guitarshaman Supporting Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have a Traynor YCV40T and when it is on standby I can hear a fizzled version of my guitar come through when I strum. If anyone has run into this problem can you help me out, is it the tubes going bad? Thanks a lot in advance. I can't afford to take it into a shop, so I hope it's an easy fix.

2. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

could be the standby switch going bad... depends on how the standby is wired up though. The switch could be leaking voltage through.

3. DIXØN

DIXØN Member

Yeah, it must be the switch. Because the tubes aren't usually even powered on (besides the heaters) with Standby off. Use a digital multi meter to check the continuity of it in the off position (making sure the amp is not plugged in of course), if you get a reading of more than about 1-2 ohms then replace it.

4. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

My Tone King Meteor bleeds thru on standby, and Mark from TK says that it is normal. I have another amp (I forget which one) that does the same thing. May not be a problem.

5. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

Mark's exact answer was:
    The behavior you mentioned is normal. There is a bypass capacitor
    wired in parallel with the standby switch which helps to reduce the
    "pop"you would otherwise hear when switching to standby mode. As a
    side effect, this capacitor allows some small amount of voltage to be
    developed in the power supply, so you will hear some sound from the
    amp in standby mode.

Hope he does not mind quoting his email to me.

6. guitarshaman

guitarshaman Supporting Member

Thanks for the replys. I guess it has been doing it for a while and the amp still works fine, maybe I'll just ride it out and hope everything is cool; or sell it and get rid of some of this Fender GAS :)

7. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I'd remove this bypass capacitor and see just how badly it pops and clicks when switched.

8. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Yea, My Meteor does the same thing. If you leave it on standby and turn the volume up, you kinda have a half ass attenuator. :NUTS

As for taking the cap off, I will leave mine alone. Mark designed the amp and I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

9. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Noted. It is harmless. Tubes don't have a "turn on" voltage like transistors and will amplify if there's any potential on the plates.