Guitar Snob no more

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Garnett, May 29, 2015.

1. Garnett

Garnett Member

I've been recording now for the last few years. I now appreciate the guitar players I used to make fun of. I've come to understand whether it's "simple" pop, disco, or Al Dimeola, if it sounds good then my hats off to them. Recording has taken away my guitar snobbery. Love it!

Alex Kenivel, ieso, Nevets and 2 others like this.
  2. 335guy

335guy Member

Nothing like hearing yourself on playback to knock you down a few notches :cool:

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

There are two ways it can go when you hear a recording of yourself:
    1. Decide to practice more
    2. Decide to quit

Nickstrtcstr likes this.
  4. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Amen to that...awhile back I did some recording projects with a band to a 4 track....it's surprisingly challenging to stay focused, locked in sync and MUSICAL for a complete 3-4 minute take no matter how simple the part.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  5. Bogner

Bogner Member

It does indeed have a way of "changing" things doesn't it? It's great to playback, even if a mediocre recording just to hear sometimes.

Nickstrtcstr likes this.
  6. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

It's a revelation when you figure out that most of the tone snobs and blues lawyers here on TPG with crazy expensive gear, aren't actually using it to WRITE or record music.

The deeper you get into writing and recording actual music, the gear it's played on kind of takes a back seat, doesn't it?

7. Garnett

Garnett Member

Good points! Can tell who writes & records. It's very humbling and very rewarding. I will say it made me practice a lot more, and again, appreciate those who I used to belittle. I'm not as great as I thought I was....

8. aleclee

I'm inclined to agree when it comes to writing. Not so much when it comes to recording (but I might be a stereotypical TGPer when it comes to nitpicking my recorded sounds).

IMO, live gear is mainly about finding the comfort zone where you can play without having to think. Even so, I spent some time this morning tweaking my setup because I was dissatisfied with my tone in our rehearsal recordings. :)

9. b_f_c_99

b_f_c_99 Member

Yeah its funny how playing live little mistakes like don't matter, the volume and energy carry it and no one notices. But the smallest mistakes recorded pop right out at you. And as far as gear/tone go what you think you want it to sound like can be vastly different than what works with the song and arrangement. I've personally found that vst stuff that you can re-amp is far better than throwing a mic in front of your beloved XXX rig.

Some of the best things I've done came from a $130 SX guitar and direct line.

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

and now you can go in and LOOK at all your mistakes, too...ugh
    So you try to do it again..ugh
    Nothing beats a good first take performance.
    Bands that can record well and carry a live performance at pro levels are good no matter how much flak some may catch for their marketing or style.

Guitardave likes this.
  11. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. and I can tell you that from an audience 40 feet away. and through the PA rig, They can't tell if you are playing the latest gee whiz tube rectified hand made thingy. The can tell you if it sounds good or not.

12. bender

bender Member

3. Add more distortion.

;)

13. bender

bender Member

Saw a guy play a great set using a solid state Marshall (Mode 4?) that sounded great for what he was doing. Had a chat with him later, he told me that folks come up to him and give him **** about his amp sometimes.

I think it's too easy for us to get caught up in the gear focus--certainly I am guilty of that sometimes just for myself, though I would never be snobby to anyone, because I am a ****** guitarist :)

BobK likes this.
  14. p.j.

p.j. Member

Or Ring Mod.o_O

15. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

I started recording at the same time that I started learning. I was learning both at the same time. The MAIN thing that I discovered is that what you hear on a recording is rarely what you think you're hearing. I record pretty much everything using a little Vox 4W Tube amp, the AC4TV. That amp records just the most pleasing sounds - hard, soft, whatever - doesn't matter. It has a really nice buttery tone that just sounds awesome to me.

If I were to listen to conventional logic, and the common gearhead - I would probably buy a Matchless DC30 amp for $4,000 and a $1,2000 Royer 121 mic - but when I started recording guitar, I quickly learned that I can get really good sounds with a small amp.

Guitardave and bender like this.
  16. aleclee

That's one nice thing about running a modeler direct into the DAW. :p

Seemed to work well enough for Jimmy Page...

bender likes this.
  17. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Listening to recordings of myself was what convinced me to continue with guitar. On the recordings I sounded much better than what I thought I sounded like live. Gave me enough confidence to start thinking maybe I wasn't so terrible after all and I should continue.

18. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

That goes for vocals too.

19. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Be humble but honest. You should equally critical and pleased by your playing. Don't overdo either.

Guitardave likes this.
  20. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

Same here. Like most everybody I was being way too hard on myself.