Guitar sound in Chris Isaac's Wicked Game

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dmarkj22, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Praise & Western Silver Supporting Member

James came to one of our TDPRI SoCal jams a few years ago, along with Greg V and Jesse Harris, and, of course, we ran through that song. James did that song with a Strat, Silverface Twin and delay. Great tone and touch and sense of humor. A pretty neat vintage car as well.

enharmonic likes this.
  2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

One of my favorite pop music guitar tracks.

3. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Silver Supporting Member

I'll see if I can get Jimmy to post here (if he's not already a member). His style and sound are part and parcel of who he is and how he plays. If you sat in a room and heard him play you'd recognize "that sound" in an instant. They may have enhanced it sonically for the album, but you wouldn't miss those enhancements if you heard it live.

4. telesquire

telesquire Member

Great thread guys and hands on info.

5. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Yes! I always enjoy it when Mark Knopfler goes into "Hank Marvin mode".

6. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

he made it sound like once wilsey gave in and used the bar... he took the idea and ran with it...

that would be very cool!

7. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Wicked Game caught me ear back then and I still love the song and Jimmy's playing. I still have the 45 somewhere which had the instrumental version of Wicked Game on the B side.

Here Jimmy talks about the Line 6 stuff he used on ElDorado (great album!).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Bo3VIqH0A

8. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

IMO, the intro hook (and all electric parts) in Wicked Game is one of the all-time most exquisite, lonesome and passionate performances I've ever heard. Such mood, atmosphere and beauty..... makes me glad I have ears.

Bobby D likes this.
  9. Structo

Structo Member

He used to post on the Line 6 forum and if I recall correctly I remember him saying it was a strat and twin reverb.

10. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

This song kind of has that vibe too, if you could put a name to it.
    Reverb, Echo, and slow easy hand on the bar for that modulated delay sort of feel.

11. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

12. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Silver Supporting Member

I informed Jimmy that he was a "person of interest" here on TGP, so he may eventually "chime" in with both his Strat and his equally razor-sharp, dry wit.

13. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ word, that makes sense. Wilsey is a monster, loved the solo joint.

re : Wilsey chiming in : that'd be, uh, wicked!

14. James Wilsey

James Wilsey Member

Hey, all thanks- I've been a member here for a while but I don't post much.

I used my normal live stuff I used at the time, a silver face twin, and a Roland 8 bit digital delay (SDE 3000). And a little volume pedal. A little reverb in the amp. Guitar was a stock '62 RI strat.

As usual I recorded the part a bit dryer, and we'd add a little delay and reverb later to fit the mix. And as usual, I'd do a few takes and we'd comp it together into the finished track to get the best results. The delay on the mix was an Eventide H3000 (?) with some stereo spread but it's fairly subtle. 97% of the Mix article is wrong.

Pretty much any clean fender amp and a stock strat and a delay can make that sound, it's not a big deal.

This was from the time the song came out, and is a rented amp guitar and delay I was furnished a couple of hours before, worked just fine. Of course a it's one shot tv mix here, and this wasn't out real band:

Anyway, thanks again and cheers-

Jimmy W.

This is hilarious. He has quite a sense of humor. If he tells you this story again, ask him to play it for you (for the lulz). The real story is almost exactly the opposite.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  15. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ that sounds more logical to me. So the Strat on the record is a reissue rather than an original '62?

That Letterman performance is fantastic! Wicked cohesiveness. Isaak is a hell of a singer, and I'm pretty jealous of his L5 too

Edit : also, those suits @#$%ing rock

16. James Wilsey

James Wilsey Member

Yeah, I had a '66 i got for 200 bucks that I used, and then I got some help from Fender to get a pair of white 62RI's to take on the road and leave my 'good guitar' at home. When we started working on that album I did an A/B test between the old guitar and the new ones on tape. The new ones sounded way better, probably because the frets weren't worn off.
    Yeah, whatever Chris is playing here was rented too. We had to fly in during a road trip and couldn't bring our stuff on the plane, it was in transit somewhere.

And we would have had to carry it around NYC, and that stuff is seriously heavy.

And thanks Jere for the heads up. If you guys ever want to hear your guitars sound great have Jere come over and play them for you. I never knew my guitars knew how to to do all of that stuff when he played them. Turns out my guitars are much more talented than I thought they were.

17. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

Jimmy, any idea when a new release will see the light of day? I need a Wilsey fix! El Dorado is just incredible! :phones

18. monty

monty Member

One of my favorite guitar sounds ever.

19. James Wilsey

James Wilsey Member

Thanks- I'm farting around and recoding some stuff now. Not sure what it'll be at this point, that's the hardest part. I'm leaning toward some hardcore easy listing muzak type stuff, I'd like to corner the elevator market.

Thanks all again-

jw

And since this is the famous Gear Page, here's a pic of the rig I use in the kitchen while I'm making grilled cheese sandwiches and Cambpell's tomato soup. It's a '69 Fender Quad Reverb (w/ 4-12's), an old 8 bit Roland SDE 1000 delay and some Fender tuner thing. The guitar is my silver metal flake Strat with matching headstock, one of the very first Custom Shop guitars built years before they made production models. Hand built by Jay Black, but other than the paint, it's a stock strat. The original silver color is turning a rich snot green from the lacquer aging.

[​IMG]

20. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

Thanks Jimmy. Elevators and dental offices of the world anticipate your follow-up!