Guitar sound in Chris Isaac's Wicked Game

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dmarkj22, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Praise & Western Silver Supporting Member

for forgetting that twangmeister Jere was at that TDPRI Jam as well. A wealth of talent.

2. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Ive played that song for years and its still a favorite.

Strat, Fender Clean Tone, Echo/Verb

Close enough for rock and roll.

3. Road.Kill

Road.Kill Member

This has turned into one of the coolest threads I've seen here. Thanks so much for joining in, Mr. Wilsey!

4. Crow

Crow Supporting Member

No kidding! I'm in awe really....wow:bow

5. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Production, Mix, Gear, Guitar, Amp, Style, Riff, the fact is the tone catches the ears very very nicely and will go down in the guitarists memories as one of those riffs and tones that grab you when you hear it.
    I'll play along with the production and stereo image as a part that really envelopes the listener based on the mix and adds to that dreaminess and watery flow, but the basic tone is in the Letterman vid too. The way it's played and the tone that is there really caught me off guard as a Strat. The first time I heard this song I was picturing a bigsby and a Gretsch. Too often that 4th position on a Strat has a bit of a flatness to it from the pickup phasing scoop, but here it is full and sweet. Alot of credit for the amp being dialed in for that. Truely an ear catching sound.

6. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ Amazing! Well, I'm sure glad that it did get noticed -- it's one of the most inspiring guitar tracks in rock 'n' roll.

Thanks for talking with us about it!

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

JW, You are playing it wrong.
    Check some internet tabs to learn to play it right!:omg

(somebody has to tell him)

8. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the shout out. It takes real confidence to let one man handle another man's wood. ;) In a larger sense, what this thread reminds us is that all the great riffs that we've loved over the years are the result of a fortunate combination of player, instrument, timing, experimentation, gear, perseverance (or frustration!) and maybe a dash of luck for having it all come together as being the right person playing the right bunch of notes at the right time. That's the creative imperative at work.

Jimmy's accomplishment(s) serve(s) as a great motivator for us to keep playing, writing, performing, making mistakes and trying again. That's how ya get to the "good" stuff.

Great thread!

9. jjguitarranch

jjguitarranch Member

That is an amazing story, thanks for sharing that and the gear details.

The phrasing, tone and overall vibe of your guitar part is MAGICAL. It must have given David Lynch a woody. It is one of the most memorable guitar parts/themes I can think of... Mike Campbell's guitar work on You Got Lucky is stored in the same mental folder!

Question: What picks and strings were you using back then? Sorry, but it is The Gear Page:)

10. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

After seeing them live a few months back, Ive been playing that song alot. trying to get that whispy, ambient tone is really cool!!

11. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

By the way,

THIS THREAD, is why I LOVE THIS PLACE. REAL INPUT!!! And cool conversation with some awesome folks in the industry. I just ran up to tell my wife all about this.

To get the "That's Cool" Comment from her, is HUGE PROPS!!!

12. lhallam

lhallam Member

Serving the music. Hats off to you making the song that much more interesting. Not an easy trick IMO.

This is something I notice about John Fogerty's approach as well. The songs maybe relatively simple but his subtle arrangements lend the extra pizazz.

Must be cool to be part of such an iconic track.

Thx for chiming in.

13. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Cool thread.Btw,I wonder if there will now be a market for a boutique 8-bit digital delay?

;)

Ed

14. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

One other technical point:

You can't get that trem sound if you deck your bridge--the notes need to go up AND down.

Gotta do it old school Leo and float that SOB!

Perhaps The Man Himself could chime (pun) in on this--perhaps I'm FOS. LOL.

15. Gandalf5150

Gandalf5150 Member

+1 to all the above.

I've just read this thread from start tio finnish and to firstly find that one of our number met and talked to Chris Isaak about this thread was amazing, then to find Mr Wilsey himself joining in the conversation is simply fantastic.

Wife couldn't believe it when I told her.

Anyway Mr Wilsey squire, many thanks for your part in that track. Your guitar playing and tone on that track has been one of my favs for many years.

16. KissTone

KissTone Member

Ditto: Great, great thread . . . and again I appreciate how JCW participates in this (and other) gear boards. He's even taken the time to respond personally to some of my questions in the past about our common interests in instro music, Duane Eddy, etc.

By the way, I met Hershel after a CI show and talked to him about he recreates Jimmy's part. He said for him: switch in position 4, Twin Reverb with the verb up, and pick lightly between the end of the neck and neck pup.

17. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Great story! A truly organic process, how it became a hit... I loved your post about song development, it's really cool when you can take 3 chords and make something that has peaks and valleys and movement. "High And Dry" by Radiohead is another one... 3 chords, but it doesn't feel like it, thanks to dynamics, great parts and melody.

Bobby D likes this.
  18. Goo Fighters

Goo Fighters Member

I can get pretty close to that tone with my K-Line Strat, Classic 30, Stereo WET and Wampler Analog Echo. Add in a little spring reverb from the amp and voila.

19. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Supporting Member

Thanks to this thread, I am now rocking out to "El Dorado." Gotta love TGP:)

20. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I bet that using an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master could get one really close to this classic sound.

Ed