Guitar Speaker Isolation Box

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cander328, Mar 5, 2006.

1. cander328

cander328 Member

Is it worth investing in an isolation box for recording guitar? I am recording at home and although I like the sound I can get micing my Mesa Lonestar Special it is just not always practical. My concern is that these iso boxes are not cheap and I am wodering how much they change the sound?

Here is the one I am thinking about:
    http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/cabinets/isolation/index.asp

2. js54

js54 Member

Check out the Demeter Silent Speaker Cab.

Also do a search here on the Demeter. There are a couple recent threads that discuss in details the pros and cons.

3. js54

js54 Member

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I was really impressed with the Axe Trak at NAMM. I'll be getting one before too much longer.

5. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i have the randall iso-cab. not perfect but it's definately nice. i put a bad cat 12" speaker in it so i like that speaker with my bad cat much more.

6. bluestein

bluestein Member

7. cander328

cander328 Member

Looks promising however there is no contact information on the site. Do you know how to contact them? Do you have any experience with using their box?

Thanks

8. Grun

Grun Member

I've been looking at Axe Trak for a while. Anyone actually used one?

9. Srini

Srini Guest

Did you really like it? There are a lot of negative comments about it...

Srini

10. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Srini-

I own one... bought it about a year and a half ago. It's sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Aleclee-

I'd sell you mine, but I would feel badly afterwards.

I've worked with Iso cabs, Isolation boxes that I put a 1x12 cabinet in, speaker emulators like the palmer stuff... I've done it all.

Do yourselves a favor.... get a THD Hotplate and a PODxt or a Guitar Rig2:

guitar > amp > Hotplate > lineout > PODxt (amp sim OFF; Studio mode) > recorder

Just try it... a lot of guys I turned this technique on to are using it today with projects.

If it doesn't work for you, put the stuff back on ebaY. I know a lot of folks here are sceptical, but unless you try it, you'll never understand how convenient and great sounding this technique is.

11. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Yep... like I mentioned above... in my garage collecting dust.

12. Srini

Srini Guest

Is it really that awful? Did it not sound very speaker-like, or full, or....? Just curious...

Srini

13. Srini

Srini Guest

Now that looks promising...

14. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

You're talking a 6" speaker... which is half the size of a 12". You're also locked into using the built in mic... no choice of switching out different mics.

I couldn't get a decent lead tone to save my life with this thing. Rythmns were okay to pretty good.

If you're going to go ISO box... pick one that uses a real 12" speaker with the flexibility of using different mics.

15. Srini

Srini Guest

Good points....thanks!

Srini

16. chetsmith

chetsmith Member

If you have time make your own... I made one out of plywood and carpet foam and put my whole amp in it. Sounds pretty good you can listen to some recordingds on myspace/kentmalmquist. Lead guitar was plugged straight no effects miked with a SM-58. Amp was on 3:00 o'clock. Making your own may be less expensive but its a matter if you have the time.

17. niner

niner Member

i own the demeter ssc and its great. Record on projects with it quite a bit and so far i love it.

just my 2 sense

18. Grun

Grun Member

If you are into Mesa gear already, you might want to look around for a Mesa Studio Pre-amp. I bought one of those puppies a few years ago and I really like it. Don't know what they are going for these days (they are no longer in production) but they were in the $300 range (used) when I bought mine.